Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad strings or bad code?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad strings or bad code?

I tried searching for an answer, but it's hard when I'm not sure how to ask the question. I wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought I'd start here. Someone can point me to the right forum maybe?

I bought 10 strings of ws2811 from Paul Zhang (via Amazon) with Ray Wu connectors. (Alling 500pcs 12V WS2811 LED Pixel String Lights Black 12mm Bullet Pixel Nodes) I verified my power supply is outputting 12 volts. I'm using a buck converter to step down to 5v to run the ESP8266 nodeMCU flashed with Aircoookie's WLED app. I reconfigured the app for 100 12v pixels in RGB. 4 of the strings work fine. Colors changes and effects work as expected. The other 6 strings? Not so much. They seem to light up randomly. I rebooted the board several times and each time the way they light is different. Some blink and change colors. Some blink fast and change colors. Sometimes they're mixed steady on, fast flash, slow flash. When I modify the output (as in change the color, or change effects) I see a change in the pixels but nothing resembling what they should be doing.
    If all 10 strings did the same thing, I'd guess the app, or wiring (I do have a common ground) or something I'm doing wrong. But since 4 of them work as expected, I don't know what's happening. I want to make sure it's not something I'm doing wrong or can fix before I start the return/replacement process. Any suggestions? Or are they just malfunctioning and need to be returned?

Thanks for your input.
    Bruce
    Last edited by Farmall Dude; 02-26-2020 at 11:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bad strings or bad code?

I would connect the "Bad" strings to the port(s) where the lights work fine and see if they work or not. That will tell you if it is the strings or the code.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

What Wled version are you using ?
    Have you updated your NeopixelBus lib. ?

If you are using a good external power source , I would disable the automatic brightness control .
    Also if your nodemcu output pin is at 3.3v , you may want to consider a level shift to bring the voltage up to 5v .
    Last edited by angus40; 02-26-2020 at 02:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Matt,
    I'm using the same esp8266 on every string.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

So just a single string is connected at a time?
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Angus40,
    Yes, using external power supply. I am using a level shift (converter) to drop down to 5v and have confirmed both voltages are spot on. And, I have the ground common to all. I'm not sure what you mean by automatic brightness control. There's an initial startup brightness setting. If that's what you're talking about, are you saying set it 0 or full brightness?

Post Thanks / Like

That's correct Matt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farmall Dude View Post
    Hey Angus40,
    Yes, using external power supply. I am using a level shift (converter) to drop down to 5v and have confirmed both voltages are spot on. And, I have the ground common to all. I'm not sure what you mean by automatic brightness control. There's an initial startup brightness setting. If that's what you're talking about, are you saying set it 0 or full brightness?
    The level shift is different from your buck . The level shift is used on the data line from the output pin of the nodemcu to the data input of the pixels .

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

On the WLED settings page LED PREFERENCES ->Enable automatic brightness limiter: <- turn that off and save settings !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast