Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad strings or bad code?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bad strings or bad code?

Oh, right. I knew that, the brain was stuck on voltage . Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'll have to get one first though...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    On the WLED settings page LED PREFERENCES ->Enable automatic brightness limiter: <- turn that off and save settings !
    OK, that's the one I thought you were talking about. I'll give that a try too.

Post Thanks / Like

I found those setting useful when testing with usb power and short pixel lengths only .

Post Thanks / Like

My Logic Level Shifter is arriving today. I've been researching how to utilize one but am a little fuzzy still. Please correct me if I'm understanding the schematics wrong. I think my circuit should be wired like this: From the 12v + Power Supply to 12v + side of voltage converter. Then from the 5v + side of voltage converter to VH (high side) of Logic Level Shifter. From VL (low side) to VIN on nodeMCU (or should this be one of the 3.3v pins instead? This is one spot I'm fuzzy). Plus, from 12v + on the power supply to + on LEDs. Ground from power supply to voltage converter, High side LLS, Low side LLS, nodeMCU and LEDs together for a common ground. For Data, from the data pin to the LOW side of the LLS. From the corresponding High pin on the LLS to the Data In on the LEDs. As I understand it, the LEDs are expecting a 5v data input. Am I close?

Post Thanks / Like

+12V and -12v -> buck converter input
    buck converter output -> 5v + & 5v - nodemcu
    buck converter output -> 5v + & 5v - LLC high V -in
    nodemcu 3.3v -> LLC low V -in
    nodemcu-> data out Pin to LLC low side input
    LLC Data output high side -> pixels Data input

12+ and 12v - to pixels

Common all grounds with the Buck 5v -
    Last edited by angus40; 02-28-2020 at 03:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

+12V and -12v -> buck converter input
    buck converter output -> 5v + & 5v - nodemcu
    buck converter output -> 5v + & 5v - LLC high V -in
    nodemcu 3.3v -> LLC low V -in
    nodemcu-> data out Pin to LLC low side input
    LLC Data output high side -> pixels Data input

12+ and 12v - to pixels

Common all grounds with the Buck 5v -
    Your making this way too complicated. I use the null pixel without a pixel driver board to go from the Node MCU. It works great as a level shifter. I keep the wire from the node MCU to the driver board under 6". Hook up 5v from the node mcu to the board. DOUT from the MCU to din on the driver board. Dout and V- from the driver board to the data and ground on the pixel string. Inject whatever voltage you need on the V+ of the pixel string.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Your making this way too complicated. I use the null pixel without a pixel driver board to go from the Node MCU. It works great as a level shifter. I keep the wire from the node MCU to the driver board under 6". Hook up 5v from the node mcu to the board. DOUT from the MCU to din on the driver board. Dout and V- from the driver board to the data and ground on the pixel string. Inject whatever voltage you need on the V+ of the pixel string.
    Sorry I must have missed mention of the null pixel in the Op's thread . I was merely assisting in trouble shooting the issue with what the Op was working with .

I will refrain from advising in the future

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I must have missed mention of the null pixel in the Op's thread . I was merely assisting in trouble shooting the issue with what the Op was working with .

I will refrain from advising in the future
    True. My point is that the OP is also doing this the hard way.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    True. My point is that the OP is also doing this the hard way.

This is why I'm coming to you all for advice! Yes, I was making it way too complicated. It turns out, the data wire I had from the board to the pixels was defective. I changed it and all the strings work fine now.

I have learned a great deal though, so all of the advice I've gotten has been useful. Now I know how to use a Null pixel, Logic Level Shifter, and to check the wires FIRST!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farmall Dude View Post

This is why I'm coming to you all for advice! Yes, I was making it way too complicated. It turns out, the data wire I had from the board to the pixels was defective. I changed it and all the strings work fine now.

I have learned a great deal though, so all of the advice I've gotten has been useful. Now I know how to use a Null pixel, Logic Level Shifter, and to check the wires FIRST!
    There is no feeling like it ,when the lightbulb of understanding goes on !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12