Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nodes not lining up

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nodes not lining up

So,
    I have 16 strings of 75 Strips as my megatree running the zipzag config.
    Last season (the first for this tree) I noticed the horizontal lines weren't lining u. The photo show what should be a flat line, but instead it.s all wonky.

Any ideas as to what I need to look at to fix please?
    IMG_20200222_171857.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Nodes not lining up

can you post your controller zigzag config page ?

Also are your strips 3 leds /pixel ?
    If yes , every 2nd strip will be reversing the rgb leds order .
    Zigzag with 3/pixel most likely won't work .
    Last edited by angus40; 02-23-2020 at 01:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The 8th strip from the left is the easiest to see. It appears there aren't very many pixels per foot and the pixels aren't lined up. Are your strips 75 pixels up and 75 pixels down or is each string going in the same data direction, up or down?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I can't see the bottom of the tree but is it straight? I ask that because as you place each string the further you get from center the shorter the string gets. To have the strings even at the bottom you would have to make the string longer which would add more pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, wait. Didn't you post a color pic of that tree in another thread? If so, then your length of strings are different. I can tell by the bottom pixels not lining up and the extended pixels at the top. They don' line up. If you're off 1 or 2 pixels that will throw everything off. Each string must have the same number of pixels and must line up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    can you post your controller zigzag config page ?

Also are your strips 3 leds /pixel ?
    If yes , every 2nd strip will be reversing the rgb leds order .
    Zigzag with 3/pixel most likely won't work .
    zig zag with 3:1 leds per pixel works just fine.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    zig zag with 3:1 leds per pixel works just fine.
    Actually to be picky , zigzagging pixel strip period looks awful . Reversing the color placement of the rgb in the 5050 on every second strip is very noticeable.

I built a matrix with just over 8k Ws 2812b pixel strip . If todo again I would run all the strips in same direction .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    Actually to be picky , zigzagging pixel strip period looks awful . Reversing the color placement of the rgb in the 5050 on every second strip is very noticeable.

I built a matrix with just over 8k Ws 2812b pixel strip . If todo again I would run all the strips in same direction .
    Hmm. My WS2812 based matrix has no such issues. Doing a zig zag should not cause the color order to get reversed. My grid is 30 strips in an alternating vertical pattern. I patch it as if all of the strips are going bottom to top left to right and then I set up zig-zag on my controller. It automatically reverses the color order (or it would be a pretty poor pixel controller implementation. In vixen you can also set up zig zag in the patching (I used it when most of my controllers were PX1s) and it automatically reverses the color order to ensure the data is going out of the controller properly. These days, setting up zig zag is a pretty straight forward activity.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Set your matrix to a tolerable 20 - 50 % white and you will see that your matrix strip direction causes horrible color ballance .
    The is due to the rgb inside each 5050 package being reversed when zig zagging . I know it is nit picky , but I could not stand it when showing snowy scenes . You may want to disagree , but this is fact . If each 5050 chip was milky or diffused as pixel strings rather than clear , zigzag/reversing the physical strips may not be an issue for the fussy .

If all strips run the exact same direction , this is a non issue and ignore the above !
    Last edited by angus40; 02-23-2020 at 05:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. So much info I'll see if I can answer.
    They are ws2812b.
    Running 75 up then 75 down.
    (however I just realised string 1 and 2 I had to cut and join as the plastic cover split when I bent it over. So these two are running 74. DOH!

I just had a look the the others and they to have split, so I'm going to cut and join each other string so each string will have 74 up and 74 down. It will make them easier to line up too I think.

The reason I didn't use bullet nodes is the cost of the boycoso plastic strip. To ship here to new Zealand was expensive. It was more than a roll of the strip itself.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast