Thread: LOR to xLights or How I did it. Long post version.

Post Thanks / Like

Default LOR to xLights or How I did it. Long post version.

Before you start reading this, understand a couple things. I was a power LOR user. Some of the things in their software are there because I brow-beat devs until they collapsed under the pressure. Well that’s how it happened from my perspective. Then, I got tired of the battle and walked away from the hobby for 10 or so years. Last fall I decided to try again. I’d used xLights and an early FPP to play a show before so I looked into it again. It fit. In fact. It ruled! LOR was out of the question, but I still have 11 controllers. So I did the reading and asked questions. Mr. Garrison said “there are no stupid questions, only stupid people!” Keeping that in mind I kept a thick skin when asking where the render icon was… But the following is created from the notes I took as I set up my upcoming 2020 display in xLights. There are other ways to do things. There are options. Many options. If you follow along and use it to get started, look at as much of each dialog on the screen as you go. You might see something that makes the process match the way you do things, if you don’t like the way I’m doing it. So this isn’t “do it my way!” It’s, this is how I figured it out and even, here’s a couple things I did wrong don’t do it this way if you don’t want it to end up messed up like mine. I started in November. I’ve had limited time to focus on it, but I was able to use it to control a Pixel Ribbon tree over Christmas, and a nice heart prop on Valentine’s Day. Read on if you care. Be kind if you don’t like it/me. I’m not the same guy who used to openly pick fights with those people Mr. Garrison was talking about. Oh yeah, read the xLights Manual. It helped.

Let’s start by discussing what’s necessary to make adding an LOR controller to xLights feel right to a former LOR user. There were several kinds of LOR users. One just added controllers and channels, visualized the show in their head and sequenced away. Another used the animator and added some rudimentary props to it where reindeer looked like dogs, so they could see a cartoonish image of their show. Then LOR hired a code troll who apparently lived in his mom’s basement, probably enjoyed diet coke from a sippy cup along with lashing out at and verbally attacking members of LOR’s forum while mining their experience to create a visualizer. With it the third type of LOR user (or Luser for short) could create a stage with props that looked like the items in their display. You could waste a few hundred hours of your time and make your display a static thing that could never be changed and always looked exactly the same. It worked well and looked pretty realistic but you were stuck with it unless you chose to invest another couple hundred hours to edit it for a simple change.

As someone who interacted regularly with some of the most creative people who ever used LOR to sequence, I can tell you without question that the best of the best never wasted a second on making that beast look like the display they were making. It was just too time consuming. And now, you’ve come here to xLights. With it you can dynamically create and alter a detailed layout of your display with just a little bit of time and effort. Drag Models around easily and reassign them to other controllers quickly. And best of all, you can create show folders for each Holiday with a whole boatload of different Models, songs and designs in them and easily switch back and forth between them.

Want to just add A/C controllers and channels then go sequence without looking at the display, ever? Use the “Create New Channel Block” tool. Drag a line of channels somewhere on the layout, set the number of channels, the starting channel, then assign it to a controller in the networks tab. Go sequence. Use the A/C channels tool to recreate the LOR sequencer. Ignore the troll.

There is no rudimentary animator like the one built into the old LOR sequencer so skip the idea. Why would you want your flying reindeer to look like dogs on a stick anyway? Ignore the troll. Seriously.

The third type, is really just a person who wishes to see their sequencing work displayed immediately on the screen so they know their ideas work. We’re not always the best at creating an effect or art, so actually seeing it in action helps to figure out how to make it look the way we see it in our mind’s eye. Fortunately xLights does this better than the rest. And there is no troll. Well… not one specific troll that is.

To get started I want you to do a few things before laying out your display then adding effects to a sequence. Go take a picture of your display. One large enough to cover the entire area where you intend to install props. No, a little bit bigger so you can adjust it to fill the Preview window using the full screen. Now lay out in your mind or on paper where all your props, hereafter known as “Models” will be in the display. Make a list that matches up a group of models to a controller (so you’re not stretching cords across the display) and number the controllers in order starting at 01. Look to the xLights manual to see how the Unit IDs and channel numbers relate to xLights DMX channels. But, simply put LOR Unit Id 01 Channel 1 is DMX 1. Channel 2 is DMX 2. Id 02 Channel 1 is DMX 17… It’s not complicated, just sequential.

Get out your props. Get your camera and take pictures. I used a black back drop, but you can get creative and edit them. Photoshop will let you remove all the background, which looks best. You can see a little black rectangle around my pictures. You won’t see that if you edit it out in PS. Now let’s build a display and create some models and control them with LOR in a way that feels best to an LOR user. We’ll import sequences row by row, then you can shelve the LOR software package until that fateful day you need to change a Device ID with the Hardware Utility. Stop wondering if this is the best idea or not. You’re not going to negatively affect your LOR system in any way. And you’ll never know how much better this is unless you do it! Once you lay it out the way you’re used to, you’ll be able to use the full power of xLights or fall back on your experience with the old ways if you have to. Additionally, there’s nothing to stop you from sequencing in LOR and repeatedly importing it to xLights. But that’s a bit like dialing an iPhone with a rotary dial. Just saying. xLights has an AC sequencing tool that’s similar to using LOR that’s handy if you need it.

You’ll need to add your Networks in the Setup Tab. This is where you lay out your LOR controllers and E1.31 devices. The xLights manual covers this very well with one exception. It doesn’t make the association between LOR networks and xLights very clear. Each LOR Id in xLights equates to one LOR “Network” that sends data through a dongle. You create a LOR Network, give it an Id and add controllers to it. The first controller will be Channel 1-16, the second will be 17-32 Etc. Also, you can achieve the same thing with Add USB and just map the number of LOR channels you intend to use. The order depends on the Controller Id set by the LOR hardware utility. There are issues with lagging when you have large numbers of channels when connecting your LOR controllers this way. The preferred way is to use a E1.31 Bridge and run the controllers in DMX mode. You need to understand right up front that the LOR controller built in effects “Shimmer and Twinkle” do not work with anything but LOR software. So you’ll have to make up for this by using xLights effects that achieve similar results by actually sending the data rather than a specialized code. There are a few alternatives to this. One of them uses a script written in Perl that strips an .lms file of the LOR twinkle command and replaces it with random on/off effects that simulate the effect. These can then be imported to an xLights sequence. I can tell you from experience, it is possible to use the xLights Twinkle effect to recreate the LOR built in effect. It’s not perfect, and due to the way it works there is a detectable pattern. I don’t use it.

To begin you need a quick understanding of a couple things. The “LOR Stage” is simply the Layout Tab. You can have multiple Layout “Previews.” Look to the upper right for the Window to <Create New Preview> Say you want an up close Preview of a specific Model. When setting the preferences of a Model, look for the ability to show it in specific Preview windows. Also, a “Show Folder” can be created for each show design. Make a folder for the Christmas Season, one for Halloween, one for the off season. Each folder is a clean slate to build from. I have one created by copying the Show Folder as I completed my layout that I copy over and over.
    Although there is the ability to back-up your work built into xLights, copying the entire folder to a safe place means you can easily restore your work back to the moment you copied it. For Mac users this is automatic if you use Time Machine. Several times a day it makes mirror images of the system. If you make some changes to your display that you decide you hate and want to go back, it’s as simple as restoring the files based on a time of day. You can even go as far as to change the name of the folder when you restore it and just select it as the new show folder. This is like creating two parallel time lines. Check it out, xLights dimensional time travel using Apple Time Machine. Steve Jobs would be very happy. And speaking of Apple, I sequence on a MacBook Air. I saved a PC for use with LOR if I find the need. I haven’t turned it on in a couple years. Don’t even know if it works anymore. That made xLights a necessity. To me, using a MacBook is about 10,000 years into the future over Windoze10. Never look back, well, unless you need to change a Unit ID or update firmware (that never gets updated anymore…)

I make a folder nested in the Show folder called “Media” and place music, the photos of the Models and the picture of house Preview in there. From the Layout Tab click in the box to the right of “Background Image” then click the button with … and navigate to the picture you took of your stage. Use the Width to adjust it to your liking. On my 13” MacBook Air my front yard looked pretty good at 1080 x 720, but I could’ve easily used a higher number for the width, out to 1250 or so. The size I settled for leaves two dark bars on the side of the House Preview, so you should play with it a bit to make sure you’re happy with it. Set the desired brightness. For me, 40 is pretty close to dusk on a picture I took on a cloudy day. You need to be sure you can see every location you’re going to place things in your display. Try not to waste any unused area in the image. The reason I didn’t worry about the unused space in the dark bars is simple. I sequence on a 34” wide screen monitor. I move xLights to the screen, and drag the house preview back to the laptop monitor. I can see an active model of my display as I sequence, and from across the street it’s closer to looking at a 4x3 screen than a 16x9. Just something to think about. After you set what you think it should look like, click over to the sequencer. Make the House Preview full screen and see if you’re still happy with it as this is how you’ll view it normally. Back in the Layout Tab save your work and let’s move on.

Before we add any Models let’s talk about effects and how they know what they are controlling. In LOR we had a header on a Row of effects we could change the Unit ID and channel, or DMX address Etc… With xLights, you set the first Model to a specific channel of a controller then it automatically sets each following Model sequentially as you create them. It can be edited if you like. It tells you on the line item the model it follows, starting and ending channels too. There are quite a few advantages using this approach. Say you want to change your entire display LOR channels away from LOR networks and begin controlling them from a E1.31 DMX bridge. You change the starting address of the very first Model from the first LOR controller channel to the Bridge. Everything else follows suit. I give an example of this when we add the first New Image Model. Another advantage is no skipped channels. When you’re done moving things around, look for Render, it’s the Painters Palette Icon next to the Save As icon on the toolbar. Click that and your changes you’ve made to the channels/controllers will be made to the currently open sequence. Save it and you’re good. There is a Render All in the tools menu that can automate the changes to all the sequences in the current Show Folder.

Hover over the icons above the preview window. Look for the Red Nosed Reindeer Icon “Create New Image” Model. Click it and you’ll see it’s now selected. Now, drag a box on the Preview Window close to the size of a Blowmold you intend to add. No need to get it perfect at first. You can adjust it later. You’ll see a new line item under the Models to the left and a box below with the characteristics of your new Model. First click in the Name and call it what you will. Next click in the box to the right of Image then browse for the picture of your prop. After you hit enter you’ll see it on the Preview window. The next line is for the “Off Brightness” This determines how the Model will look on the Preview when it’s not lit. I set this to 30 because I don’t want to be able to see much more than an outline of the thing when it’s not lit. Don’t go by the brightness on the Layout tab as it appears brighter there. Go to the Sequence tab to see how your settings will look. The Start Channel, I set the first Model to the Start Channel of LOR controller 01-1 or Channel 1, then added the props in order. From then on and they each set themselves to the next sequential Model. Say your first guy is called George. The second Model is Ralph and will show it’s start channel as “Ralph >George:1(2)” With (2) being DMX Channel 2. The number after the :”1” determines that it’s the next sequential model. Change it to 2 and it will skip a single channel and say Ralph >George:2(3). It’s how you can skip channels if you intentionally want to leave spares. After I was done adding them all, I disabled the LOR controllers in the Networks and added a 4-Port E1.31 bridge. I changed the very first Model to the first channel of the DMX bridge and all the rest of the Models followed suit. So now I can easily switch back and forth between an LOR dongle and the Bridge depending on how I intend to connect them. The DMX addresses for the Bridge were from 24657 to 26696. So George and Ralph became “George !RPM DMX Bridge:1(24657) and Ralph >George:1(24658)” I made an Excel Spreadsheet to keep track of things. I put the LOR at the beginning of my Networks. There are only 177 items. I could’ve avoided the 24*** addresses by setting the Bridge up to have only 177 channels and disabling either the LOR or DMX Bridge. But that would mean I couldn’t use any other channels on the Bridge. Or I could’ve placed the LOR at the end of the other controllers and had the same numbers for channels either way. But the very first thing I did was to create the LOR channels. I was satisfied with them where they are, and xLights makes it work when switching between the two. Not having the channel numbers change appears to be the best approach, but it works either way. If you can’t imagine your LOR channels changing from 1-177 to 24657-26696… set it up they way you’re happy with.

A few more things about the Image Model you made that applies to most models, in the Size/Location you can lock the position so it won’t move. A right click on the model will give you access to this also. With the Models position unlocked, if you deselect the “Create New Image” Icon then drag a box over several Models, right click, then click align/bottom they’ll line up for you. This was helpful for the triangle group of Toy Soldiers I put in the yard. You also have the ability to manually set the pixel value of the Models x and y location.
    Please consider becoming a Supporting Member of DIYC. Show your thanks to those who make this place possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: LOR to xLights or How I did it. Long post version.

The manual now tells you to create groups. A group is a set of models you wish to paint effects across. Where pixels are concerned this is an interesting approach. Imagine the butterfly effect on a large matrix. Now think of the locations of all your pixel models in your display. Drop that butterfly effect matrix over them and they will render their little part of the field that larger effect creates. It’s a neat thing to try, but to me really isn’t all that appealing or even useful in a musical sequence. From the perspective of an LOR user, groups are a thorn in the side. The problem stems from the way effects exist and are viewed in a sequence. If you add effects to a group, everything in the group has the effect applied to it. If you double click on the group it will expand to show the Models that exist and have their view selected in that group. Double click on a model and it will expand to show the Strands that exist in that model. Double click on a Strand and the Nodes will expand to show the actual effects that have been added to them by the parent effect that was laid across the group. Awesome right? Now lets go the other way. Add an effect to a node, say a chase across 50 nodes for 5 seconds. Double click the string to hide the nodes so you can go sequence something else. Now you get to guess where that chase you made is on the timeline unless you took notes of the start and stop times, or you expand the string to node level again. Point this out as an enhancement and you’ll get told to quit thinking the way an LOR sequencer thinks and change the way you sequence. One guy said stop focusing on the LOR way and begin trying to use the 100s of things xLights can do. But, xLights can’t show effects that exist on the timeline that exist at node level. So from my perspective maybe xLights could be enhanced for the types of users who sequence at node level, as that type of sequencing lets the artist paint effects that that are in synchronization with the music. Unlike canned effects that can be dragged across a timeline to play for a period of time but have no connection to the music whatsoever. For me it meant simply, no Groups. I removed them from my layout and forced myself forget they even exist. I’ll never render an effect across multiple models because I think the effect looks tacky and indicates a lack of sequencing skill. But to each his own. The manual suggests you make a Group called All Models and dump all your models in it. You can choose what models you wish to add to a group, and reorder them in the group. Always Save your work often. Now when you sequence you have a duplicate of every model in your sequence. One in the All Models group and one in the list of models. Expand the All Models group and you’ll see them in there. If you right click in the models area of the View: window and select Edit Display Elements you’ll get a dialog that will allow you to reorder the models not in a group and choose to view or hide them by clicking the Eye. Once you’ve made changes click back to the Layout Tab to Save your work. So to review, create models and groups, add models to the groups and reorder them in the layout tab, on the Sequence tab, use Edit Display Elements to reorder and view the Models not in groups. Save your work on the Layout Tab. Jeff doesn’t use groups because nested node level effects aren’t viewable at the group level.

Now make a simple Animation sequence to add effects to. Click the New Sequence Icon, choose Animation and 40 FPS then OK.

I want to touch on something before I move on. After you import effects from an LOR sequence there will be issues. As I described earlier if you double click on a Model Name, the String will appear below it. Double click on the String and the Node appears. Due to the fact that the Image Model for a Blowmold is a single A/C channel, placing an effect on any one of the three (model/string/node) will yield the same effect to the Model. But when you import effects from an LMS file, the effects will appear at the Node level. Which blows because as I’ve described, you’ll have to un-nest to the Node level to see the effects. Or, do like me, cut and paste the effects from the Node to the Model. If you right click on a node row, choose Row/Copy Effects, right click again then choose Row/Delete Effects, then click on the Model Row right click and choose Row/Paste Effects. Now you’ve moved the effects to the Model row, the only difference: you can now see the effect without having to un-nest the Node. As you do this, you’ll see that the effects don’t disappear when you choose Row/Delete Effects. Don’t worry, it works. After you’re done moving the effects to the Model row, render and save. Now you can see where your effects are. This whole issue is just ridiculous.

Now walk away from this discussion. Go create a show folder and all the Models for your display. Create a Musical Sequence that you intend to import effects from LOR S4. Make a list of the new Models in xLights, with the old LOR prop names alongside if any of the names have changed. Come back and we’ll import the effects all in a flash. It even gives you the option to save a list of your associations so you can do this repeatedly. Did you tap out timings? We’ll pull them over as a timing track too.

The LOR version you use needs to be one that creates unencrypted XML files for xLights to be able to understand it. I don’t recall when LOR started doing this but I know that S4 did so anything I have that’s really old, I just Save As in S4 and it creates an XML file that can be imported. I created a Folder called LOR LMS Files in the Show Folder. Move the .lms files there you intend to import from. Open your new xLights Sequence and select Import/Import Effects and choose an .lms file to open the Import Utility. Now you have three columns, Model, Map To, and Available. Drag a name from the Available column to the Map To where you want it to go to. An alternative way is to select the Item you wish to import, then double click the place you want it to be copied to. The Model name will expand to show a string name so watch closely you don’t overlap to the wrong row. If you start at the bottom of a list and go up, your lists will stay aligned as you drag them over. You can do this for all the channels you want to associate. When you’re finished click OK. You’ll get a dialog asking if you’re sure you don’t want to save the associations. If you have several of these .lms files that have all the same Models/Props in them you can save and recall the associations so you don’t have to drag them into place each time. Due to the fact that I often changed my display my sequences were all over the place so I never saved the associations. I just watched the videos of my display and looked for the effects I wanted, then used the specific sequence from that show to import from.

Now double click to one of the Models nested Nodes and you’ll see the result of the import as interpreted by xLights. If you used a lot of twinkle and shimmer you may have to tool these effects a little to get them the way you want them.

After you’ve imported effects from an LOR sequence, look for the twinkle effects. They come over as an effect on each model. If you view a single node model with the twinkle effect, you’ll see that it produces a metronome flashing effect. So it’s completely useless used this way. Here’s a place you’ll need to group models if you want the xLights effect to work. You’ll have to delete the effect from individual models and add the effect across a group, set the effect to Number of Lights 60ish, Twinkle Steps to between 7 and 14 and check Re-Randomize. It looks similar to the LOR effect but has a detectable repeating pattern. If you select each Model so you can view it in the model preview window, you’ll see that the pattern repeats and isn’t random like a true twinkle. I chose not to use the effect and just created a series of random on/off effects across 30 rows that lasts for 30 seconds. I adjusted it over and over until I couldn’t tell the difference between it and the built in LOR effect. If I need Twinkle, I just import as many rows as I need then cut and paste. There are times I need more than 30 rows, so for anything over 30 I cut the second half of the rows needed and place them first in the additional rows and finish them with the first half. The controversy over the built in effects has always made me wonder why the command to trigger the effect in the controller wasn’t just incorporated into xLights.

To import a timing track, right click on the Timings above the Models in the Sequencer Tab and select “Import Timing Track” If using PC you’ll need to select “LOR file types.” With Mac you don’t have to do unneeded steps as it’s smart enough to know what kind of file it needs. Choose a file and select the timing track you wish to import. I can’t create a timing track in xLights to make hundredths, but I can import one from an LOR .lms file. Go figure.

After you’ve added the timing tracks, select one. In the View menu select A/C Lights Toolbar if it’s not already selected. Turn on the tool by clicking A/C. Now you have a simple toolbar that will allow you to pretend you’re using LOR to make ramps and drag chases. Click the white light bulb icon to “Output to Lights” and play the sequence. It’s now controlling lights. Quite a bit easier than it used to be huh?

Well that about covers what is required to get you started. From here you can add Pixel props and E1.31 devices until your heart’s content. It won’t take them 10 minutes to be created and another 10 to save. As I added DMX Universes to LOR S4 so I could control an E682, I wasted a lot of time waiting for it to create or save. It was bad enough that I quit using more than a couple pixel items at a time. It’s funny, LOR does A/C models very well and sucks at Pixels. xLights does Pixels very well. Over the years they’ve added functionality for LOR users, but there are a couple things that really complicate single channel Sequencing. I’ve preached about some of it here. But I don’t expect that every issue facing someone trying to make the switch will be resolved. With LOR, you could complain to the owner about an issue like a developer arbitrarily reassigning keyboard shortcuts. The result was, the owner understood your anger with the F key that always previously meant OFF, now becoming a FILL command that added a multicolored effect all the way to the end of a sequence. So to the disdain of the Developer, the owner made him create a keyboard mapping table to keep the customers happy. A way to take his stupid F key idea and toss it in the garbage where it belonged. With xLights, the developers are all doing the work and collaborating for their own reasons and sharing it voluntarily out of the kindness of their hearts. Their product is leaps and bounds ahead of the others. It can do so much, and so much more. I’ve touched on a small part of it here. Now go figure some of it out, make it work, and tell me how you did it. I really need someone to make using Layers clear, I haven’t been able to get a layered effect to work yet. But I will… and a detailed step by step of the animated faces/Papagayo stuff. Scripts for the FPP would be nice too. I tried and tried to make the triggers from the GPIO bus work, but I have zero understanding of them and scripts. My goal was to create a pushbutton panel that would immediately trigger animation sequences, and give you the option to press a button to determine what song would play next. It was like trying to speak Cantonese by reading the little pictures… 呢只系相

Jeff
    Please consider becoming a Supporting Member of DIYC. Show your thanks to those who make this place possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff ... really interesting feedback. With so much here it makes it really hard to respond in a way that is as organised and comprehensive as your post so I may just pick out a few things you may want to look into.

First of all check out the right click menu on the model names in the sequencer grid and select show all effects ... this will selectively expand models/strands etc to show you your node level effects (at least I am pretty sure it should and if it doesnt it should).

Check out sparkles (colour panel) ... that may be closer to the twinkle you were looking for.

Let me take on the whole you shouldnt be sequencing at the node level ... while I dont think this is an absolute statement it is a pretty good rule. There generally is no need to. If your node is controlling a prop then create a model for that node and sequence the model. I am sure there are a handful of scenarios like DMX models where this is not true but they are rare.

Dont dismiss groups so quickly. There are real gems there that you are yet to uncover ... you just need to move away from the default buffer and try some others. Last septembers seminar on buffers and layers may help you understand why ... but understand it is not a beginner video.

Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't meant to be feedback. Which is why it's here and not in the xLights forum. It was just my take on what I had to do to move "laterally" to xLights from LOR. It's clear that I stopped using LOR 10 years ago, so I'm currently stuck there in my ability. Which is where some other LOR users who are interested in moving away and into xLights may be too. From some of the posts I've read, that's exactly the case. I have a single goal in 2020. Get my unused 10 to 14 year old display back up and slightly improve it. I made it clear I wouldn't be using LOR. I researched and found that I could reproduce my needs with xLights and FPP. This is just my take on my progress. I also made it clear that there is so much to learn about xLights, but there is too much on my plate right now. Each request for information I've made to the community has resulted in the same response. So, I search and find what I need to make it work and do as I've always done. Post how I did it when I'm done.

I've been told over and over again to forget the "old ways" and wait until you have 50K channels in your display, you'll forget single channel sequencing... I've got a tiny 800 sq ft home on a small lot in a crowded neighborhood in the most densely populated location in the country. There will never be more than 5000 channels used in my display if even. I can easily sequence the 200 or 300 single channel models in my display at the node level right up until you guys remove that capability from the software. I have a need to be able to accomplish the work that I've done throughout my time in this hobby. It's what I know and what I'm good at. Laying it out the way I did as described above was necessary to achieve that. If someone else reads it and makes the jump, then it was worth the time I spent writing it. If it offends someone who develops it, that was not my intent at all. Although if my problem as described leads to interest in it, then that was also worth my time. There is a dormant enhancement on Github (566) that no one felt needed to be included in the xLights development. I'm set in my ways, as many angry old farts like me are (trust me, there are a whole boat-load of them in the LOR community. I used to run a private forum of them. It was the most fun I've had online since the inception of the internet) so I won't be moving away from node level sequencing any time soon. Even if I have to dust off the PC, fire up Showtime version 4 (with an old copy of windoze7 of course) and dial the telephone to do it.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I have an RPM 4 port E1.31 Bridge to connect LOR controllers to xLights. I wasn't happy with the need to make a special cable to cross the wires for DMX. So I modded J1 and labeled it "For LOR Only" Now it just takes a standard Cat5 cable. See the image.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

...and the first step toward removing some LOR boards is:

I haven't decided on Ren Code or DMX yet. I've used Ren hardware in the past, and really wanted to be able to address the boards. So I'm leaning toward the DMX code, but I'll try both to be sure.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I completed the build of the Ren32 Plus this morning. I can't get the program port on the board to work, so I pulled the chip and programmed the chip from the ZIF that came with the kit. I used the default DMX hex code from the RenPlus website. I plugged everything in, created a short animation in xLights and turned on send to lights. I looked over at the bar and there was blinky flashy. Thank you to everyone who makes this stuff, fiddles and tweaks, and makes it all work seamlessly. Due to the fact that this is the only DIY controller I'll use in 2020, I'm done for now. Once everything is completed for this year, I'll go back and tweak the code for starting addresses. Then a couple at a time, I'll unload the LOR boards to the community. I have 11 of them. All but 2 were kits built by me. I'll keep the most recent one I built as I use it with some DIO for halloween. I have some WalMart skulls that sing, controlled by DIO. But that's another thread.

Jeff