Thread: OK, yeah, I can't get LOR twinkle to look right in DMX mode.

Post Thanks / Like

Default OK, yeah, I can't get LOR twinkle to look right in DMX mode.

I imported effects into xLights from a couple LMS files. The Twinkle came over as On/Shimmer. So I started fiddling around with Twinkle to try and get the random look of the built in LOR controller twinkle on a triangle of 15 toy soldiers. I set each one somewhere between 8 and 14 Twinkle Steps. It looks similar at first but after just a second you can see a pattern, as each channel is flashing at a set rate. Re_randomize makes no difference. Is there something I'm missing here? I hope there's a simple answer to this, as I used both shimmer and twinkle quite a bit in my LOR sequences. I even had 27 DIO channels that the effect didn't work at all on, so I manually created a 15 second random pattern version of the Twinkle. I'm seriously considering using that in place of the xLights Twinkle effect as it looks nothing like the LOR effect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
    $20 annually. That's like 5.61 cents a day. I realize that's more than a nickel but its just a little more.
    Please consider becoming a Supporting Member of DIYC.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: OK, yeah, I can't get LOR twinkle to look right in DMX mode.

There are some things that are proprietary part of the LOR wire protocol. I believe twinkle and shimmer. The LOR app sends a "twinkle" or "shimmer" command to the LOR controller, and the LOR controller does the actual work of doing the twinkle or shimmer - not the app. When you're in DMX mode however, you just have on/off/dim commands, so there is no direct DMX equivalent for those.

My advice is, focus on the 100's of things that xLights can do better and don't try and match your old LOR sequences exactly. You'll lose a few things, but you gain so much more.
    2019: 26000 pixels, 20 E682's. Centralized 24v power distribution.
    2018: 2000 pixels, 2 E682's. 4 LOR
    2017: 33069 pixels, 20 E682's. 50 A/C with 2 LOR
    2011: 64 A/C channels with 5 LOR

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the suggestion, but I need the effect to look like the LOR effect.

Jeff
    $20 annually. That's like 5.61 cents a day. I realize that's more than a nickel but its just a little more.

Post Thanks / Like

As previously stated. LOR twinkle is a burned into the box, not the sequencer. In a sequencer based twinkle, there is going to be a pattern and that pattern is going to be the same each time the sequence is played.
    Keep in mind that the pattern may be a lot more obvious to the person who wrote the sequence than somebody viewing the sequence.

I have not tried it but will something like this work?
    Adding a view that contains a some "overlay props". In this case, overlay props lay out duplicate lights in a different pattern (xLights alerts on these as "overlapping channels" but you can disable that warning). Maybe your actual prop is a triangle of 15 soldiers using nodes 1-15. Create a new prop that is a 3x5 grid using nodes 1-15. Then create another new prop that is a 5x3 grid using nodes 1-15. Play with layers and blending modes. Put moving effects like circles or snowflakes or meteors in different directions on the overlay props or layers and vary the size, number, speed, etc.

I have used overlay props to make a kind of virtual controller, to verify my channel numbers, for various testing, and to apply an effect at an odd angle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry-Rigs View Post
    As previously stated. LOR twinkle is a burned into the box, not the sequencer. In a sequencer based twinkle, there is going to be a pattern and that pattern is going to be the same each time the sequence is played.
    Keep in mind that the pattern may be a lot more obvious to the person who wrote the sequence than somebody viewing the sequence.

I have not tried it but will something like this work?
    Adding a view that contains a some "overlay props". In this case, overlay props lay out duplicate lights in a different pattern (xLights alerts on these as "overlapping channels" but you can disable that warning). Maybe your actual prop is a triangle of 15 soldiers using nodes 1-15. Create a new prop that is a 3x5 grid using nodes 1-15. Then create another new prop that is a 5x3 grid using nodes 1-15. Play with layers and blending modes. Put moving effects like circles or snowflakes or meteors in different directions on the overlay props or layers and vary the size, number, speed, etc.

I have used overlay props to make a kind of virtual controller, to verify my channel numbers, for various testing, and to apply an effect at an odd angle.
    I seem to recall reading some time ago that the twinkle/shimmer effect for LOR doesnít work properly in DMX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TSL View Post
    I seem to recall reading some time ago that the twinkle/shimmer effect for LOR doesnít work properly in DMX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, thatís the point of the OP starting the topic. Those effects can only be activated in LOR mode. Sequencing software like xLights, Vixen, and others have a twinkle effect that works in DMX mode but it doesnít look the same as the LOR native twinkle. I was engaging in some brainstorming to see if there was a way to get a better twinkle from xLights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Did you see this and try it?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2nFPWrW9Y8

Post Thanks / Like

I think I figured it out. I was adding the effect to each model, which resulted in a metronome for that single channel. Then I placed a value in twinkle steps which caused each model to flash at a different rate from the others. Eventually you could see the pattern. After grouping the models and adding the effect to the group, then setting the number of lights to around 60 with 5 or 6 steps it looks just like the LOR built in controller effect. When I grouped all 177 LOR channels from the display and ran it on a loop, with my video from 2007's display playing right next to it, my wife thought the xLights program was creating the video... so if it passed that test I'll call it a success. I thought of how to try this at 2am when the dog woke me up to go out.

MikeKrebs, I'm not in a place where I can get youtube right now but I will view that as soon as I get home tonight. Thank you everyone who responded.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    Did you see this and try it?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2nFPWrW9Y8
    This is similar to what I did with my DIO channels. In LOR, the built in controller effects don't work on DIO cards (because it's not built into the DIO cards) I had 2 x 96 channel DIO cards connected to some breakout boards I made. There were 4 channel SSRs connected to the breakouts. It was a cheap way to get a high number of on/off A/C channels. A Shimmer effect can only be achieved by fast on/off that just didn't translate. But Twinkle needed to be created to look just like the result in the video you linked. I manually created random sequence on/off effects across 27 channels for a specific prop. (I have zero programming skills) It was about 30 seconds long so I use it to fill other things by randomly copying different parts of it to use.
    LOR put these effects on the controller to cut down on the amount of network traffic these effects produce. It's above my pay grade to make assumptions of how adding this kind of effect across 22,000 DMX channels will affect the traffic in my display.

But the result I got from the xLights twinkle effect looks close enough to make me happy. I'm not going to worry myself about possible lagging at this point. I'm just gonna do it and see if it works. If it doesn't I'll adjust and hope for the best.

Jeff