Thread: Arch cross bar and mega tree base ring support

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arch cross bar and mega tree base ring support

Since I don't have my pixel strings yet, I decided to start by building some mini arches with strips using 5' sections of 1" Sioux Chief Pex and 1/2" EMT based on the Johnson design. The Sioux Chief Pex from Menards is a little more opaque/milky so I thought it would diffuse nicely.

As I was thinking about ways to secure it to the ground in our high winds, I came across these irrigation stakes on Amazon. They snap right on to the 1/2" EMT. I thought it may be good for anyone looking for a way to support/secure a base ring on a mega tree if they use the same size EMT. I assume it would also work for 1/2" PVC too.

IMG_20200129_180259.jpg

IMG_20200127_124830.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Arch cross bar and mega tree base ring support

You still will need some sort of cross support to keep the Arches from falling over. 2 short (12"-15") pieces of EMT connected perpendicular to the EMT retaining bracket to keep the Arch from tipping over. then a simple sandbag to hold it all down, no stakes needed.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Yep...already planned the cross bar, but I don't think the sandbags would be visually appealing to the Mrs. These work perfect and just thought I'd share them with others who may find another use for them.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a couple PVC tees on the ends of the pex. I drilled holes through the tees and into the pex, then secured the pex to the tees with screws. Then I drilled some 3/8" through the other two "ears" of the tee and secure it to the ground with 8" landscape spikes. They've held up to wind and rain just fine. No need for a crossbar or bases or whatever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodee View Post
    Yep...already planned the cross bar, but I don't think the sandbags would be visually appealing to the Mrs. These work perfect and just thought I'd share them with others who may find another use for them.
    Do have to keep the Mrs happy!
    Matt