Thread: Multiple Power Supplies & Power Injection Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Multiple Power Supplies & Power Injection Questions

First I want to say thank you to everyone that took the time to help me with any of my problems & questions all of the information on this website is priceless. I had my first display for 2019 everything went pretty well. I was able to outline the front of my house, windows, doors, etc. I was around 1,000 Pixelbulb all ran off 4 ESPixelSticks with 2 power supplies. I had 2 on each supply with Power Injection from each supply. However, I am doubling or tripling my lights for this year. So when I was unsure about the state of ESPixelSticks I only used Shelby's (I didn't have any more) I opted for a Falcon F16V3 So here is were all my questions start. I have read multiple posts on here about the 2 supplies for the Falcon and after reading those posts I was still like ???

2 - 12V 350 Meanwell Supplies for the Falcon controller (I'm running all 12V Pixels)

So with 2 supplies going to the Falcon 1 for the left side of the controller and 1 for the right side of the controller
    I don't know if it makes it easier but I was going to just plug both supplies into a 120V outlet instead of just running 1 AC Power cord for both (is this unnecessary?)

Do I connect the AC Earth grounds together on the supplies or
    Do I connect the DC V- together on the supplies

Also my next question regarding the power injection with the Falcon. So I have those 2 supplies (1 & 2) for the Falcon controller I was going to have a 3rd & 4th supply (12V 350W Meanwell) for power injection using DIYLEDEXPRESS Power Injection T's (I already have them and used them for my 2019 display)
    So by using these T's will this connect the V- from supply 1 &/or 2 to my power injection only supplies of 3 & 4? or do I need to run a separate wire from my controller supplies to the Power Injection supplies (Do I need to connect DC V- from supplies 1 & 2 to DC V- of 3 & 4 or do the T's handle this) or (Do I need to run a wire to connect the AC Earth Grounds together from supplies 1 & 2 to supplies 3 & 4? Or if I connect all the supplies to my house outlets then they will have a common AC Earth Ground and I wont have to worry about it? These supplies with be away from the controller plugged into a different outlet on a different side of the house that the controller will be. The connection point from the controller to the start of the pixels with be less than 6' away but the power injection point will be 30' - 50'+ feet away from the controller so I was going to have power supply 3 only about 10'-'15' (or less) away from where the power injection will need to happen on the other side of the house away from the controller (if this makes sense).

*Just a side note I have 7 12V power supplies incase I need more, I am not necessarily going to run all those off 4 supplies if the calculation don't work out I have more to use if I need to.*

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Multiple Power Supplies & Power Injection Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Byhova View Post
    First I want to say thank you to everyone that took the time to help me with any of my problems & questions all of the information on this website is priceless. I had my first display for 2019 everything went pretty well. I was able to outline the front of my house, windows, doors, etc. I was around 1,000 Pixelbulb all ran off 4 ESPixelSticks with 2 power supplies. I had 2 on each supply with Power Injection from each supply. However, I am doubling or tripling my lights for this year. So when I was unsure about the state of ESPixelSticks I only used Shelby's (I didn't have any more) I opted for a Falcon F16V3 So here is were all my questions start. I have read multiple posts on here about the 2 supplies for the Falcon and after reading those posts I was still like ???

2 - 12V 350 Meanwell Supplies for the Falcon controller (I'm running all 12V Pixels)
    Good Choice.

FYI: I use a 30W supply to drive my F16 controller board. I never connect the V+ line out of the F16 to the pixel strings. All of my supplies are located near my lights. All fuses are removed from their sockets. All wires leaving my F16 are V- and Data. End of soap box (You do not need to do it this way). OK so I said ALL, what I really mean is 60 out of 64 F16 ports use only 2 wires. The other four ports happen to be 5m WS2811 strips located 6" from the controller. It just did not make sense to inject for a 6" space.

So with 2 supplies going to the Falcon 1 for the left side of the controller and 1 for the right side of the controller
    I don't know if it makes it easier but I was going to just plug both supplies into a 120V outlet instead of just running 1 AC Power cord for both (is this unnecessary?)
    Use a three prong cord to go from your PSU to an outlet or extension cord. In the cord: Black goes to line, White goes to neutral and green goes to chassis. These will then align and connect properly to your house wiring. Do NOT run special wires between the PSUs.

Now for the exception: Some of us daisy chain the input side of the the PSUs. When I daisy chain I still use three wires to make the daisy chain and all three (Line, Neutral, chassis ground) run from PSU to PSU. I prefer to use UL Listed extension cords and old computer cords to connect PSUs to power but sometimes a daisy chain is just plain better.

Do I connect the AC Earth grounds together on the supplies or
    Do I connect the DC V- together on the supplies
    For the AC side, see above.

For the DC side:
    • There is NEVER (yes I mean NEVER) a need to connect the V- wires on multiple PSUs together.
    • There is minimal harm done by connecting the V- wires between the PSUs. Connecting V- together at the PSUs slightly increases the number of V- loops. Keeping the PSUs segregated reduces the overall number of V- loops. V- loops can introduce noise into your lights.

Also my next question regarding the power injection with the Falcon. So I have those 2 supplies (1 & 2) for the Falcon controller I was going to have a 3rd & 4th supply (12V 350W Meanwell) for power injection using DIYLEDEXPRESS Power Injection T's (I already have them and used them for my 2019 display)
    So by using these T's will this connect the V- from supply 1 &/or 2 to my power injection only supplies of 3 & 4? or do I need to run a separate wire from my controller supplies to the Power Injection supplies (Do I need to connect DC V- from supplies 1 & 2 to DC V- of 3 & 4 or do the T's handle this) or (Do I need to run a wire to connect the AC Earth Grounds together from supplies 1 & 2 to supplies 3 & 4? Or if I connect all the supplies to my house outlets then they will have a common AC Earth Ground and I wont have to worry about it? These supplies with be away from the controller plugged into a different outlet on a different side of the house that the controller will be. The connection point from the controller to the start of the pixels with be less than 6' away but the power injection point will be 30' - 50'+ feet away from the controller so I was going to have power supply 3 only about 10'-'15' (or less) away from where the power injection will need to happen on the other side of the house away from the controller (if this makes sense).
    Not sure about the sealed Ts. You need to use an ohm meter to make sure the following is true:

• V- is common on all three connectors on the T.
    • V+ from the previous pixel string is not connected to any other connector on the T.
      • If V+ IS connected then you will need to cut the V+ line somewhere between the connector and the previous PSU.
      • NEVER allow the PSU V+ lines from DIFFERENT PSUs get connected to each other. One of them will die.

• V+ from the PSU is connected to the V+ on the next string in the T.
    • Data is connect from the previous string connector to the next string connector.
      • It is OK if data is also present on the connector going to the PSU, as long as there is no additional wire connected to it (tiny antennas add noise).

*Just a side note I have 7 12V power supplies incase I need more, I am not necessarily going to run all those off 4 supplies if the calculation don't work out I have more to use if I need to.*

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post

Use a three prong cord to go from your PSU to an outlet or extension cord. In the cord: Black goes to line, White goes to neutral and green goes to chassis. These will then align and connect properly to your house wiring. Do NOT run special wires between the PSUs.

Now for the exception: Some of us daisy chain the input side of the the PSUs. When I daisy chain I still use three wires to make the daisy chain and all three (Line, Neutral, chassis ground) run from PSU to PSU. I prefer to use UL Listed extension cords and old computer cords to connect PSUs to power but sometimes a daisy chain is just plain better.
    So is what you are saying is I can do either way and I will be fine. Use the 3 prong cord that came with my power supplies (1 for each one) with both connected to an outlet or daisy chain them together inside the box and only use 1 3 prong either way will be fine?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    For the DC side:
    • There is NEVER (yes I mean NEVER) a need to connect the V- wires on multiple PSUs together.
    • There is minimal harm done by connecting the V- wires between the PSUs. Connecting V- together at the PSUs slightly increases the number of V- loops. Keeping the PSUs segregated reduces the overall number of V- loops. V- loops can introduce noise into your lights.

Not sure about the sealed Ts. You need to use an ohm meter to make sure the following is true:

• V- is common on all three connectors on the T.
    • V+ from the previous pixel string is not connected to any other connector on the T.
      • If V+ IS connected then you will need to cut the V+ line somewhere between the connector and the previous PSU.
      • NEVER allow the PSU V+ lines from DIFFERENT PSUs get connected to each other. One of them will die.

• V+ from the PSU is connected to the V+ on the next string in the T.
    • Data is connect from the previous string connector to the next string connector.
      • It is OK if data is also present on the connector going to the PSU, as long as there is no additional wire connected to it (tiny antennas add noise).
    So the way the DIYLEDEXPRESS T's work is the V- are all connected together, and the Data is past from the left to the right (String 1 to the next string) but the bottom of the T is 1 of the pins is V- then 1 pin is V+ that can feed back left to the end of string 1, and the other pin is the V+ for the start of the next string. So what you are saying is if I am power injecting from a separate supply other than the ones for the Falcon controller then I would make sure NOT hook up the V+ that is feeding the back to the end of string 1 and ONLY hook up the pin in the T that is feeding the V+ of string 2 (and also the V- pin as well) is this correct? By not hooking up the pin that back feeds to the end of string 1 then I would keep the V+ from controller supplies from connecting to supply 3 or 4 if I am understanding this correctly?

Thank you for your input and quick response!

Post Thanks / Like

So is what you are saying is I can do either way and I will be fine. Use the 3 prong cord that came with my power supplies (1 for each one) with both connected to an outlet or daisy chain them together inside the box and only use 1 3 prong either way will be fine?
    Yup. Just make sure the connections at each PSU are going to the correct screws. Bad things can happen if you mess those up.

So the way the DIYLEDEXPRESS T's work is the V- are all connected together, and the Data is past from the left to the right (String 1 to the next string) but the bottom of the T is 1 of the pins is V- then 1 pin is V+ that can feed back left to the end of string 1, and the other pin is the V+ for the start of the next string. So what you are saying is if I am power injecting from a separate supply other than the ones for the Falcon controller then I would make sure NOT hook up the V+ that is feeding the back to the end of string 1 and ONLY hook up the pin in the T that is feeding the V+ of string 2 (and also the V- pin as well) is this correct? By not hooking up the pin that back feeds to the end of string 1 then I would keep the V+ from controller supplies from connecting to supply 3 or 4 if I am understanding this correctly?

Thank you for your input and quick response!
    As long as the "V+ wires from different PSUs are NEVER connected to each other" rule is not violated, you can do anything you want. You could even cut the V+ line in the string half way between the PSUs and everything would be fine.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q