Thread: Pinwheel direction controlled by speed slider

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pinwheel direction controlled by speed slider

As you are well aware, the direction of several of the effects is controlled by the speed slider; over 50 goes one way and below 50 goes the other. Would it be possible to have the pinwheel effect use this to control the direction rather than a drop down box? It would allow for more versatility as far as changing directions during the effect.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pinwheel direction controlled by speed slider

At the moment you do have a bit of direction control if you use the motion of speed and play with the movement curve.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like something we can look at. Write up a feature request on the tracker and we will put it on the list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bretheron View Post
    At the moment you do have a bit of direction control if you use the motion of speed and play with the movement curve.
    This is the one effect I've found where the speed curve doesn't control the direction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popo-B-Trippin View Post
    This is the one effect I've found where the speed curve doesn't control the direction.
    Try something like this. I am not even sure of the theory behind it but does work to a degree.

Pinwheel1.jpg
    Pinwheel2.PNG

Post Thanks / Like

Try something like this. I am not even sure of the theory behind it but does work to a degree.

Pinwheel1.jpg
    Pinwheel2.PNG
    That's weird... It does work, but very limitedly. I'm looking to create a search light type effect where a single beam will sweep back and forth. This way of doing it won't allow for that, but it is weird that it kinda worked.

I appreciate you digging into it for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a quick look last night and it doesn’t appear to be working how it should be, not sure if something has changed with the effect over the last year or so.

When I get some more time I will have another look and get it fixed up.

Post Thanks / Like

I have played with the direction of the pinwheel that way for a few years now. I just figured i found a glitch that worked for me.

If you are looking for a search light type sweeping effect you could always find a gif image that suits or give this a go.

Iterations are at 1
    I have the arms set to 2 and the first arm colour blacked for the starting position for the sweep- full one way to the other and not from bottom start
    I black out colours on effects a lot. You can do the same with intensity but i like the way it gives me the visual on the editor.
    Y offset is to put the center point to the top of the element (obviously)
    Then play with your twist/size/overlap etc to suit.
    I am sure there are other ways to achieve it, this is just one that i thought of.

Pinwheel forward.jpgPinwheel backward.jpg
    Last edited by bretheron; 01-29-2020 at 06:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have played with the direction of the pinwheel that way for a few years now. I just figured i found a glitch that worked for me.

If you are looking for a search light type sweeping effect you could always find a gif image that suits or give this a go.

Iterations are at 1
    I have the arms set to 2 and the first arm colour blacked for the starting position for the sweep- full one way to the other and not from bottom start
    I black out colours on effects a lot. You can do the same with intensity but i like the way it gives me the visual on the editor.
    Y offset is to put the center point to the top of the element (obviously)
    Then play with your twist/size/overlap etc to suit.
    I am sure there are other ways to achieve it, this is just one that i thought of.

Pinwheel forward.jpgPinwheel backward.jpg
    That would definitely work. Great idea!