Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Square node pixels not good to use???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are Square node pixels not good to use???

I was looking around on the Wiki and found an article about different kind of pixels and came across this;

12mm pixel node (square / flat) - These pixels can come with the wire coming either out of the back of the Pixel or the side of the Pixel. There has been some issues with the silicone injection molded units that have the wires coming out of the side not sealing and allowing water into the pixels.
    Is this true? I see on the DIYLEDexpress page that their square pixels have the wiring coming out of the back of their square nodes not the sides.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Are Square node pixels not good to use???

Make sure you order epoxy filled and you are golden !

Post Thanks / Like

Many of the styles of pixels had water intrusion issues in their infancy. With the advances made in construction and assembly, most all of them that are rated IP67 or 68 are waterproof any more.

Post Thanks / Like

This was an older issue. There used to be a square node type that had the wires coming out of the side and had the plastic shell injection molded around the wires. Those did have water intrusion issues. Though I haven't seen those in a long time now. most modern pixels are encapsulated in epoxy. That includes both square nodes and bullets. This seems to have cured all of the water issues. As a result of the epoxy process, you can't really have the wires coming out the sides. There needs to be a cup to be filled that holds the epoxy during assembly. so modern square nodes still tend to have the wires coming out the back. They're still a bit flatter than bullets though.

The IP rating really has nothing to do with it. Those are just numbers that manufacturers slap onto the products, they're not tested to those specs. Look at how they're made, not the claims on the spec sheets. The difference between IP67 and 68 is whether you can submerse them less than 1m in water, or more than 1m in water. Both are overkill for most of what we're doing. Even an IP 64 or 65 should be good for use in outdoor lighting applications. The bottom line is that the ratings can't be trusted unless they're independently tested, which you're not going to get at the pixel prices we're willing to pay.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used square pixels with my bullet pixels for the last few years with no issues.
    (1)Falcon PI Player (Running the show)
    (1)Falcon F16V3
    (1)Renard SS16
    (1)Renard SS24
    (1)EDM-LCD-CS-EP
    (20)P10 Panels

WIKI
    Become A Supporting Member

Falcon Christmas
    Renard Controllers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    This was an older issue. There used to be a square node type that had the wires coming out of the side and had the plastic shell injection molded around the wires. Those did have water intrusion issues. Though I haven't seen those in a long time now. most modern pixels are encapsulated in epoxy. That includes both square nodes and bullets. This seems to have cured all of the water issues. As a result of the epoxy process, you can't really have the wires coming out the sides. There needs to be a cup to be filled that holds the epoxy during assembly. so modern square nodes still tend to have the wires coming out the back. They're still a bit flatter than bullets though.

The IP rating really has nothing to do with it. Those are just numbers that manufacturers slap onto the products, they're not tested to those specs. Look at how they're made, not the claims on the spec sheets. The difference between IP67 and 68 is whether you can submerse them less than 1m in water, or more than 1m in water. Both are overkill for most of what we're doing. Even an IP 64 or 65 should be good for use in outdoor lighting applications. The bottom line is that the ratings can't be trusted unless they're independently tested, which you're not going to get at the pixel prices we're willing to pay.

Have you been through an Oregon winter?? What you guys get in snow, we get in rain -- Portland’s 2017-18 water year also came up dry, with 30.03 inches of precipitation. But in the previous two years, the city was soaked, with totals of more than 47 inches in 2015-16 and 51 inches in 2016-17.

But, yeah, IP65 would probably be good enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Great replies. Thank you. This is my first year so that is all good information.

Using J Channel as permanent house outline...square or bullet?
    Boscoro wreaths and snowflakes recommend square...so I’d assume get square

And just for good measure, 3” or 4” spacing for house outlines? Or is this more personal preference?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Litebrite View Post
    Great replies. Thank you. This is my first year so that is all good information.

Boscoro wreaths and snowflakes recommend square...so I’d assume get square

And just for good measure, 3” or 4” spacing for house outlines? Or is this more personal preference?
    I haven't used the J-channel, so I couldn't recommend a specific type. Boscoyo wreaths and snowflakes should use square so they can sit against the side of the house better, as in they will lay flatter. Spacing on the house outline is based on personal preference and also on how far away your audience will be from your lights. My house is quite close to the street, less than 20 ft away, so I went with 4" spacing. 3" is too tight, in my opinion, and 5-6" would have been too far apart, again, in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Litebrite View Post

Boscoro wreaths and snowflakes recommend square...so Id assume get square

And just for good measure, 3 or 4 spacing for house outlines? Or is this more personal preference?
    Everything about this hobby is personal preference...........

My home is about 30' from the street, and I use 2" spacing on everything.

Post Thanks / Like

As rstehle says, “personal preference”. Distance from your viewers is a big thing to consider. For us, being 60 to 80 feet from the viewers, 3” is the perfect view - in our opinion. Then again, “opinions vary”.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast