Thread: What is the best (read that: easiest) way to patch together three panels side-by-side

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is the best (read that: easiest) way to patch together three panels side-by-side

I have three 20 x 20 panels (net lights, actually) with a horizontal string orientation. I need to place them side-by side and have them behave as a single prop, even though each is fed by a different Falcon F16V3 controller output. I could do it by creating interleaved sub-strings, but this would be VERY tedious. I could create a 60 x 20 display in the preview and make each string in the preview a combination of three rows of pixels, one row from each panel (see attachment). Is there a better way?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What is the best (read that: easiest) way to patch together three panels side-by-

Vixen is designed so that you do NOT drag prop design problems into your Element definitions and complicate your sequencing. Make one large grid with the total number of rows and columns your prop is providing. Then on the patching page you can assign the strings to the proper universes and send them to appropriate F16s.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What is the best (read that: easiest) way to patch together three panels side-by-

lrhorer - Are you saying you have 3 matrix panels, butted up against each other at the vertical ends, and the zig zags are horizontal for each?
    This means your first line (left to right) covers only 1/3 of the whole before it zigs back (right to left). Once the lines on the first third of the matrix is complete, you jump down and start on the second?

I can see where this might be a bit of a problem. Manual patching may be your only alternative.

BTW - This would be easy if the matrix panels were wired bottom-to-top-to-bottom (vertical).
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Vixen is designed so that you do NOT drag prop design problems into your Element definitions and complicate your sequencing. Make one large grid with the total number of rows and columns your prop is providing.
    That is far from easy. Ultimately, it may be the only smooth way to handle it, but it means each, individual strand must be assigned separately in a jogged fashion. That is 60 individual, non-sequential strand assignments across 20 rows. 'Kind of a nightmare, really.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Then on the patching page you can assign the strings to the proper universes and send them to appropriate F16s.
    It's not separate F16s. It is three ports on a single F16, 400 pixels each.
    Last edited by lrhorer; 01-19-2020 at 09:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    lrhorer - Are you saying you have 3 matrix panels, butted up against each other at the vertical ends, and the zig zags are horizontal for each?
    No, the opposite. The panels are oriented horizontally, with each prop row consisting of one row from each of the panels, left to right.

This means your first line (left to right) covers only 1/3 of the whole
    Correct.

before it zigs back (right to left).
    Well, no. It doesn't zig-zag. All the rows are numbered from left to right, both physically and logically.

Once the lines on the first third of the matrix is complete, you jump down and start on the second?
    Physically, yes. Since these are F16 controllers, I could create sub-strings and jump the start of each virtual string by 41 nodes. Another alternative is to make the numbering sequential in the F16 and make the patches in each row jump by 400 and then 800.

I can see where this might be a bit of a problem. Manual patching may be your only alternative.
    No, there are several others. Indeed, aggregating the prop in the preview does work somewhat, but not as well as I would like.

BTW - This would be easy if the matrix panels were wired bottom-to-top-to-bottom (vertical).
    No. In fact, I started out that way, but it caused several issues both physically and in Vixen, so I rotated them.
    Last edited by lrhorer; 01-20-2020 at 04:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The other thing you can do is just define one output controller in vixen that sends data to all of the physical controllers. You'd need to use multicast for this. Then when you set up the string outputs on the controller config pages, you just assign it to the corresponding universe/start channel for each range of pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

Um, you must be missing what I am trying to do. This prop is a hedge covered with a net light, which is a matrix of pixels. It is too large (1200 pixels) to be controlled by a single port on the Falcon F16v3 controller which feeds it, which has a limit of 1024 pixels per port. Consequently, the matrix is divided up into three sections, each 20 x 20 pixels, with each section fed by a single port.

I went ahead and defined the matrix as a single 60 x 20 unit in Vixen, assigning addresses 2701 - 6300 of one controller to the matrix. In the F16, I created 20 virtual strings under each of the three ports, and assigned 2701 - 2760 to the first virtual string of the first port, 2881 - 2940 to the second virtual string, 3061 - 3120 to the third, etc. On the second port, I assigned 2761 - 2820 to the first virtual string, 2941 - 3000 to the second, etc. Finally, I started the first virtual string on the third port at 2821 through 2880, and so forth, interleaving the address ranges across the three ports in groups of 20 nodes.

This makes Vixen completely agnostic of the physical layout of the net, which of course makes Vixen very happy. The net is down for modification right now. I will see how it looks tomorrow night.
    Last edited by lrhorer; 01-20-2020 at 04:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Wish I knew what you just said hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk