Thread: Old CTB-16PC Kits and DMX?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old CTB-16PC Kits and DMX?

Anyone know what controllers can run in DMX mode and which can't? I have 9 CTB-16PC boards all built from kits. I haven't checked any of the firmware but I'm fairly sure they're all gen 1 boards. I looked at their website and it barely mentions DMX for the 16PC boards. Just wondering if they're too early, or I'm just missing something.

Jeff
    $20 annually. That's like 5.61 cents a day. I realize that's more than a nickel but its just a little more.
    Please consider becoming a Supporting Member of DIYC.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Old CTB-16PC Kits and DMX?

I think all LOR boards can receive DMX with the right firmware version.
    I have personal experience with CTB16PC Gen 1(?) or 2(?) and Gen 3 and CMB16D.

LOR CTB16PC boards prior to Gen 3 require version 4.20 (or greater) firmware for DMX.
    Gen 3's change the version numbers and I do not know what version is required. Maybe all versions support it?
    I would have to dig a bit to find the version for anything else.

You do need a special cable and the Universe starting channel is set by the LOR unit number.

Post Thanks / Like

Plug in an operating DMX controller cable into them and if you get a blinking light on the LOR board, it's being recognized as DMX I would assume.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a blinking light means power but no connection. I think a steady light indicates a good connection. At least, I look for a steady light.

Post Thanks / Like

I knew I had it backward after I wrote you are correct.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry-Rigs View Post
    LOR CTB16PC boards prior to Gen 3 require version 4.20 (or greater) firmware for DMX.
    If this is the case, I think I'm good. Thank you for the replies. Not able to do any testing right now due to work, so I couldn't check F/W or even try to control lights. Was just trying to get a handle on what I'd have to deal with when I get going. First off, I'll try to run them on an LOR network. If there's any lag I'll try DMX. I'll let the hardware dictate how I run it.

Jeff
    $20 annually. That's like 5.61 cents a day. I realize that's more than a nickel but its just a little more.

Post Thanks / Like

Tested all 11 (Gen 1)CTB-16PC controllers today. As soon as I connected them to the RPM 4-port Bridge, the light comes on solid. Blinky Flashy lights. I didn’t even try to see what firmware is on them. All is well. Thanks again for the info. DMX mode it is!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Getting a solid status light is good, but ....

I'm waiting for the next question: How do I set the universe and start channel number?

Answer: LOR devices are all universe #1 (I have not found this documented anywhere but it seems to work this way). The start channel is determined by the LOR unit number. LOR unit 1 == start channel 1; LOR unit 2 == start channel 17; etc (this is documented in the back of the LOR DMX manual as well as the back of all the LOR manuals for CMX capable controllers (I think)). I do not know how it works for LOR devices with more or less than 16 channels.

I used to use DLovely's 6 channel E1.31 to DMX bridge with my LOR CTB16pc's. I set each bridge output to output universe 1 channel 1 and set the LOR boxes to be unit unit 1. I used 1 LOR box per DMX output. I don't remember how daisy chaining works in this case. I think I had to set one-up LOR unit numbers to daisy chain.

You can change the LOR unit number using the LOR configuration utility. You need a dongle and a valid LOR license to use the utility.

Post Thanks / Like

The LOR boxes are not aware of universes, nor do they need to be. The first LOR box is channel 1-16, the next is 17-32 and so on.

If you want to run on multiple universes, you set that on the DMX bridge.

For example, the first port on the DMX bridge might be set to Universe 1. Connect a LOR box with a unit number of 1, and you can address channels 1-16 on Universe 1.

Configure the 2nd port on the DMX bridge to Universe 2. Connect a LOR box with a unit number of 1, and you can address channels 1-16 on Universe 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry-Rigs View Post
    Getting a solid status light is good, but ....
    the light comes on solid. Blinky Flashy lights.
    The key part is highlighted in red.

Jeff