Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Network question

When setting up a network for your light show, do you guys use a separate physical network or just run it on it's own VLAN?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Network question

Both Ways. I personally use a separate physical network, but others have created VLANS. I like the separate network because even w/ a VLAN all the traffic is still on the same physical equipment (as your home network?) so if it is getting congested, it will still get congested.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    When setting up a network for your light show, do you guys use a separate physical network or just run it on it's own VLAN?
    From a routing/switching perspective, there little difference. Me personally, my light network is behind an old DD-WRT router, with its own firewall. I chose not to do a separate physical network so that I could remotely access the show terminal running Vixen. In addition to remote access, I also do not have to worry about any household broadcast domains being flooded with either show traffic or the kids "YouTube" traffic.

-Tony
    Tony
    Live since 2007
    Putting the Yule back into Yuletide

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks guys, I'll give it some thought. I'm mostly thinking about whether or not I want to purchase additional (networking) equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Another question on this subject: I am seeing that the Raspberry Pi can be configured as a wireless access point. Has anyone done this? Could it be the same pi that is running FPP? Was thinking that if I use many individual wireless pixel controllers I could just do this to create my network, instead of needing to invest in another wireless router/access point.

Post Thanks / Like

I do the VLAN thing. It allows for more software flexibility so you don't need to go around moving cables to reconfigure things.

I don't recommend using the Pi as an AP for the purpose of sending data to wireless controllers. While it can function as an AP, it's not a particularly good one. You're better served with a proper AP with a proper antenna. But the AP mode can be used for things like backdoor access to the pi in case of primary network failure.

Post Thanks / Like

The PI can do a lot of neat things but if you're planning to use FPP on it to run your show, don't add unnecessary overhead by making the PI also be an access point. You'll likely run into some stuttering in your light show if you overtax a PI.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for more than a year, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Understood. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

And yet another question. When using a raspberry pi running FPP: I would set the ethernet IP to be something on my "show" network, but set the wifi (wlan) IP to be on my home network, so that I can still access it from a computer for config purposes, correct?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    And yet another question. When using a raspberry pi running FPP: I would set the ethernet IP to be something on my "show" network, but set the wifi (wlan) IP to be on my home network, so that I can still access it from a computer for config purposes, correct?
    It depends. Are you intentionally setting up two independent networks? Do you want the FPP to be the primary path between the two networks? If so then yes. If you also want to access the controllers on that other network them you will need to configure the FPP to enable forwarding between interfaces.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast