Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any experience with 12v WS2815 strip (1 RGB per IC)?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Any experience with 12v WS2815 strip (1 RGB per IC)?

That was my interpretation as well. However, that makes the B line pretty useless. It also assumes that the previous pixel did not fail completely (magic smoke) and just had some sort of minor logic failure or the output driver became damaged in some way. Again, a pretty useless feature.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

FYI, my only interest in WS2815 based strips is that I want a 12v pixel strip that uses 1 single RGB LED per IC instead of 3 elements per IC. If there are other 12v 1 RGB LED per IC strips out there, please let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry-Rigs View Post
    FYI, my only interest in WS2815 based strips is that I want a 12v pixel strip that uses 1 single RGB LED per IC instead of 3 elements per IC. If there are other 12v 1 RGB LED per IC strips out there, please let me know.
    all rgb pixels are made using tri-color leds. the ws2812 and higher bond the tri-color led to the same die as the controller chip, it sounds like you want to avoid the ws2811 3:1 configuration where there are three tri-color leds for each control chip.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

The pixels normally process data from DI. If data coming in on DI fails, then it will look for data from BI. (I'm not sure exactly what logic the pixel uses to determines when to switch between DI and BI.) Any data used from BI does have 24 bits stripped off, then the next 24 bits are used. This is because BI comes from the DO of the 2nd prior chip. For example:

Pixel #3 DI comes from Pixel #2 DO.
    Pixel #3 BI comes from pixel #1 DO.
    If pixel 2 fails, pixel 3 stops seeing data coming in on DI so it switches to BI. Since the data coming in on BI is coming from pixel #1 instead of pixel #2, 24 bits (the data that would have been used by pixel #2) is stripped off, then pixel #3 uses the next 24 bits and passes everything else out DO as usual.

If pixel #3 did not discard 24 bits of BI data, all remaining pixels in the chain would shift by 1 pixel.

If you drive both BI and DI from the pixel controller, then if pixel #1 fails, all other pixels in the string will shift by 1 pixel, pixel #2 will get pixel #1's data, etc. If you only drive DI then a pixel #1 failure will blank the entire string.

-jim-
    Sandevices E682/6804

Post Thanks / Like

Logically, that is what you would assume would be happening. However, the documentation does not describe it that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Have them come out with a WS2815 pixel in a bullet or square? If so, we could just test the theory/information and make sure. (Doing it on a strip would not be easy.)
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Two Strips in a row and disconnect DI between the strips.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Two Strips in a row and disconnect DI between the strips.
    Actually I want to do a comparison. Send the same data down both strips but interrupt the DI partway down on one of them. This will tell, once and for all, if the chip does indeed throw away one "pixel" of data when the previous chip is seen to be bad. If the lights act the same past the interruption, then it is. If the lights are "off by one" when this is done, then our thoughts on it not doing so (as per their documentation) would be confirmed.

I can see where interrupting the line on a strip would be a bother/problem. Using bullets it would be a no-brainer. (Just cut the DI line.) Of course, that would be if they (bullets) are in existence as of yet.

Besides, if I'm going to spend money on these, I would really like to be able to patch the test and use them.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Logically, that is what you would assume would be happening. However, the documentation does not describe it that way.
    The Chinese translation leaves a bit to be desired, especially the rather peculiar use of the term phagocytosis. If you interpret that as meaning 'engulf' or 'swallow' then it does appear to explain what's happening.
    Sandevices E682/6804

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12