Thread: Order of operations when setting up a show.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Order of operations when setting up a show.

Guys, I have a question pertaining to the order of operations when setting up a show.

I'm planing to install pixel lights around my roof line, windows and doors as well as some other elements, but do not have them constructed yet. My question is can I start programing a show before I know all of the parameters for the lights? I pretty much know what I want to do and where the elements are going to go, but I don't know the exact number of pixels for each element.

Can I make a preview and start programing everything now and then adjust some of the numbers later? What step should I do first? Should I completely set up the strings with the software and controller first or can some of this be moved around later?

I just want to make sure I don't waste a bunch of time creating sequences and then find out they won't work because I changed a few lights around.

I'm currently using Vixen 3 but am considering changing to X Lights because it works with a Mac.

Thanks or the help! Dale P.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Order of operations when setting up a show.

Yes, you can always adjust the setting of your model (especially number of pixels) at a later time.

Once you update and save the model, you would simply re-render your sequence and everything is fine.

This is based on xLights. I donít know vixen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Order of operations when setting up a show.

Yes in Vixen you can create some placeholder elements for those outlines and then correct them to actual later on. It's a bit easier to delete than to add, but both is doable. So I'd recommend trying to guess the counts on the high side so you can just delete the extra pixels later on. You will need to redraw them in the preview after adjusting the groups to get them to reflect the proper count and distribution.

I wouldn't bother setting up controllers and patching to them until you're closer to being ready to actually using the real lights. But I do recommend putting at least one controller in the list. It doesn't need to be patched or configured, anything will do for temporary.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Order of operations when setting up a show.

Thanks guys! This is exactly what I needed to know!