Thread: Hollow stars - ropelight

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hollow stars - ropelight

Another display piece for my 2020 display... a little A/C ropelight, some plexiglass, silicone glue... you got yourself a see-thru star....

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hollow stars - ropelight

Dave, are you using a splice kit on those or just soldering straight into the wire pair?
    Tony
    Live since 2007
    Putting the Yule back into Yuletide

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hollow stars - ropelight

The tinned wires are inserted directly into the ropelight, but they're enclosed in this topper, which is first filled with silicone glue, then clamped at the top to make it waterproof and provide hanging strength. I made the toppers on my 3D printer.

20191116_165843.jpg

It was actually a fun project. I made this jig to form the stars, inserted a plexiglass star inside the ropelight and silicone-glued it all together. Later I put the topper on. The ropelight is cut into 36" lengths.

20191114_110550.jpg 20191114_123514.jpg
    Last edited by dirknerkle; 01-08-2020 at 05:37 PM.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.