Thread: Changing laptop...x lights question :)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Changing laptop...x lights question :)

Have laptop with everything on.
    Need to get from one to a newer laptop.
    I can save sequences onto USB, when load to other laptop, says cannot find icicle lights ( plus all other lights )
    None of my set up screen, layout screen, sequencer screen is on the new laptop.
    Ahhhhhh help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Changing laptop...x lights question :)

Quote Originally Posted by UkchristmasLights View Post
    Have laptop with everything on.
    Need to get from one to a newer laptop.
    I can save sequences onto USB, when load to other laptop, says cannot find icicle lights ( plus all other lights )
    None of my set up screen, layout screen, sequencer screen is on the new laptop.
    Ahhhhhh help
    I am no expert but I was able to move my layout & sequences between computers so I could work on them wherever I was at and them able to move them back to my show laptop.
    All I did was made sure my show laptop was setup exactly like my sequence pc I would work on the sequences on. (not necessary but when it was not the same then I would have to change my directory folder layout that points to sequences, audio, ect. so it was easier just to have my folder layout labeled the same). But I believe what you need is these 3 files xlights_rgbeffects.xml, xlights_networks.xml, xlights_keybindings.xml from my sequence computer (desktop) and copy to the show laptop but I also had to copy the sequences over to the show as well. I don't think it puts the background picture of your house back on there but it will do your network settings, and your lights layout
    Last edited by Byhova; 01-03-2020 at 03:56 PM. Reason: added more text

Post Thanks / Like

Will take ages to re do my set up part

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UkchristmasLights View Post
    Will take ages to re do my set up part
    What do you mean to do your setup part? When I said make everything the same I meant all your folder & directories (for XLights) but it is not necessary, but if you copy just those 3 files and your sequences it will get you all of your stuff back. You will just have to change your directory folders on your setup page to point to the right folder for say the audio, etc. If the new PC is not the same.

I am 99.9% sure if you just copy those 3 xml files from your old pc show folder to the new laptop you will get all your network settings & light setup back.

I hope I am explaining this well enough if not I apologize. I know that I copied those 3 files & my sequences and moved them between computers almost daily

Post Thanks / Like

The simplest thing is to copy every file in the xLights directory, into a folder named exactly the same on the new PC, and on the same "named" drive on the new machine as the original machine. C:\... old machine C:\.... New machine! I have done this several times.
    Beware, there is a problem within xlights sequences, the drive/folder location of the original audio file used when creating a sequence is embedded into the sequence file, and if the file structure on a new machine is not "exactly" the same as the original, when you use xschedule to play out the sequence it has a hissy fit!! Don't ask me how I know, thankyou Keith!!!!
    [B]"Tory Street Lights", Nelson, NZ[/B]
    [B]2013 - "Honourable Mention"[/B] - 2013 Local Christmas Lighting Competition
    [B]2013 :-[/B] 11 x Ren 64XC's - 650 Channels, 45,000+ lights. 7,000 or so LED's this year:-)
    ----------------------------------------------
    [B]"Lucky Home" [/B]- 2012 Local Christmas Lighting Competition
    [B]2012 :-[/B] 11 x Ren 64XC's - 550 Channels, 40,000+ lights. 2,500 or so LED's for the first time :-)
    -----------------------------------------------
    [B]2011:-[/B] 7 x Ren 64XC's - 384 Channels, 30,000+ lights - all incandescents! 2 x Commercial LED Panels (72x7)!
    ------------------------------------------------
    [B]"Supreme Winner for 2010" [/B]Local Christmas Lighting Competition, 4 x Ren 64's - 256 Channels Controlled by Vixen - "Brilliant" :-)
    18,000 to 20,000 Lights - all incandescents! 2 x LedTricks Panels with "Pix C" interface's
    [B]2009:- [/B]128 Channels of "Hill 320", 4,000 Lights