Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me decide on a controller

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help me decide on a controller

My show at present has 4 sandevices 2 e682 and 2 6804. I want to add another controller this year and I am not sure which direction to go. I have it narrowed down to a 16 port falcon or the Kulp 32b or another e682. The 32 b is very attractive at 95 dollars. I have found no comparison between the falcon and the Kulp so I am having a hard time deciding. The e682 is a robust but older tech controller but I know it well.

Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help me decide on a controller

I have 4 Falcons in my show. They have proven to be absolutely reliable and very simple to use (no universe nonsense at the output definition level). Have not seen the KULP controller. I would look into the F48 which allows you to have lots of smaller remote ports.
    Last edited by MartinMueller2003; 01-03-2020 at 10:44 AM.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Remember, the 32b requires an additional beaglebone black, so the price delta isn't that huge vs the Falcon.
    When you buy a controller, you are also buying into a community of support. I'd evaluate that too in your decision.

Finally, I have an e682 bare PCB that I can sell you that you can build up yourself if you really want to save some money.!

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, either stick with what you are familiar with (Sandevices) or go with the Falcon. As mentioned, the support for the Falcon is unsurpassed.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m in the same boat as you are and am leading towards using a Falcon F48.

Post Thanks / Like

If I can ask, why not stick with the Sans devices?? I just received my new E682 kit for next years mega tree.

Post Thanks / Like

Sandevices controllers are very good and very dependable. Falcon controllers are outstanding and have much more robust outputs, along with more features, and are expandable. They both make your pixels blink, so choose whichever you are most comfortable with.

Post Thanks / Like

I am still very much a newbie.... please explain what you mean by " more robust outputs"...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    I am still very much a newbie.... please explain what you mean by " more robust outputs"...
    The falcon f48 has 48 ports and can do up to 1022 pixels per port which is way more than my e682 . At like 170 pixels per port . I think thatís what he meant by robust just guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

One more thought.
    If you plan to keep your 682's, that would sway me to stay with that technology. Just one less thing to learn and you have a potential backup if a controller should ever die during your show.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast