Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are the resistor Pixels any good?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are the resistor Pixels any good?

Hello, I'm going to purchase a few thousand pixels and am over whelmed with all of the choices! I'm going to use 12 volt pixels and I see there is a pretty good savings between regulated pixels verses resistor controlled pixels.

I'm planning to power inject every 100 pixels as they run around my roof line and want to know if there will be any issues if I purchase the lower cost resistor controlled pixels? I understand the difference between the two, but want to know if people are happy with the lower cost resistor ones.

I would love to hear your thoughts between the two types of lights.

Thanks for the help! Dale P.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Are the resistor Pixels any good?

Regulated pixels (12v) are much more reliable as they are getting a regulated, consistent voltage. They are also much more tolerant to varying voltages and don't have issues with slightly higher voltage.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    2012: 24 channels with 1 Renardss24 * 2013: 48 channels with 2 Renardss24's * 2014: Took the year off * 2015: Life Got in the Way
    2016: 1000 Channels for Halloween, mix of A/C, RGB, Pixels. Christmas over 17 universes, all Pixels, oh boy...

Post Thanks / Like

First, consider your purchase is long term use. They could last 30+ years donít let price drive your purchase. Fewer regulated is better than more resisters type

I wouldnít do resister pixels any more because they are too sensitive to voltage change, and a have a must greater issue with low voltage conditions. My regulated pixels do not turn pinkish when V is low. My regulated run true white down to 4v. I have even run them at 24v on a 24 hour test @ full white. Canít do that with resister version
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

For me the entire question comes down to a few things:

• 12v regulated pixels use 50% of the power used by 12v resistor based pixels (This is a big one for me. It is the main reason I used 5v pixels).
    • 12v Regulated pixels dump half as much heat into the bullet case, extending the total lifetime of the pixel
    • 12v Regulated pixels will run over a much wider input range, allowing them to be driven by 24V PSUs with no external buck converters.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

"Regulated" and "resistor" types of pixels are new terms for me.
    I bought 12v pixels from a small variety of vendors (aliexpress and domestic) over several years.
    How can I tell what I have?
    Going forward, where is the pixel type specified?

Post Thanks / Like

Connect 2 or 3 pixels to a 5V PSU (if you have an adjustment then set the output to 6v) and set them to WHITE. If you get white then you have a regulated Pixel. If you get pink or some other color (or no light at all) then you have resistor based pixels.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    For me the entire question comes down to a few things:
    • 12v regulated pixels use 50% of the power used by 12v resistor based pixels (This is a big one for me. It is the main reason I used 5v pixels).
    • 12v Regulated pixels dump half as much heat into the bullet case, extending the total lifetime of the pixel
    • 12v Regulated pixels will run over a much wider input range, allowing them to be driven by 24V PSUs with no external buck converters.
    Are these "regulated pixels" using switching regulators? Linear will still result in roughly the same power consumption (given 12v input to each). Big advantage is that you will get the desired voltage input to the LEDs, regardless of the voltage present on the pixel input.

Post Thanks / Like

Your concern is valid. However, the ones I saw had a built in buck converter. My comments are based on the buck converter variety. You can tell by looking at the power dissipation. If the power dissipation is 0.72W / pixel then it is a resistor or linear regulator. If it is closer to 0.3W/Pixel or 0.4W/pixel then it is a switching regulator.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the pixels I'm thinking of ordering. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...c007aZPWY&mp=1

They are 12 volt regulated pixels. I want to email the seller and place an order for 3000 lights, some flood lights, and lots of connector wires. I just worry if I have any protection if I don't go through the Ali web site and order directly from him.

Dale P.

Post Thanks / Like

Martin, where did you see buck regulated pixels? Have a web link? Seems it would be hard to fit all the parts inside the bullet...
    There would be a significant power savings if they existed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast