Thread: DIY addressable lanterns

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb DIY addressable lanterns

Hello,
    I picked up 12 of these Christmas lanterns on clearance at a local hardware store. My original plan was to gut them and install 3 watt rgb LEDs (I have built drivers for them) and run them off of a dumb pixel controller. I have now decided to make each a component in a set of custom props that use addressable pixels.

Is there a ws2811 solution for custom applications like this? Possibly something I could just add to the drivers that I have made? I'm aware of the Adafruit Pixies but they are too expensive and not practical for this application.

lanterns.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DIY addressable lanterns

What about the Adafruit NeoPixel Jewel at $8. There is a knockoff on Amazon, DIYmall 7 Bits 7 X WS2812 for $6. Not as much power but should light the lanterns just fine. I bought the knockoff but I have not used them yet. BTW, they are about the size of a quarter.

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at these as well. There's a version that has several in a circle that I may consider if I can't make the 3 watt lights work. I want them to be unexpectedly bright at certain times in the sequence.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used 12V WS2811 based LED modules for a couple of retrofit projects and they work well. Quite bright too. I got mine from Ray Wu.
    www.da-share.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have ten ws2811 bullet nodes hanging in each of mine.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q