Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brand new to the world of pixels!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Brand new to the world of pixels!

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    Hmmmm..did a little bench testing on a single regulated 12V pixel to see the voltage range.
    With only v- and data connected to the controller, and injected V+ and V-

I cut off a single pixel from those 2018 DIYLEDEXPRESS 12V Regulated Pixels. Using a variable pulsating DC power supply, I injected up to 25V to the pixel, without any apparent damage. Didn't want to risk the controller to go any higher. Can we run these at 24V without the bucks??? Maybe someone with actual test equipment can test these and verify my findings.

On the low voltage side (didn't do white) I was able to get them lite at 3.85 volts, but not useable - very dim and with rainbow, blue didn't light sometimes..... this is the lowest I can go on my VPS. Using some used weak batteries, 3.1V was a no go, but 4.0 was good.
    It depends on the technology being used to drop the 12v to 5V inside the node. The older versions used a resistor to drop the voltage. The newer ones have buck converters built in. The buck converter version is less sensitive to changes in the input voltage AND use less overall power than the resistor based version. The built in buck converters may survive greater than 12V (at this point 24V is not a shock to see). If you put 16V or more on a resistor based 12V string you will most likely burn it out.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats ...Im still testing different controllers to see where my needs are for my set up so I will know what My needs are for lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123