Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Mega Tree Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Mega Tree Questions

I am planning out my first mega tree for next year and have some questions. I plan on going with a 180 16 strand 50 node tree. I will using the pixel mounting strips at 2 spacing. I will also be using the Boscoyo 32 topper(8.75 diameter) with a 6 diameter base(I am unsure what I will use for this but bent EMT seeks popular?). The spot where the tree will go is not level so I need to figure out how to suspend it a bit, ideas on this? My other question is what pole should I go with? I think Im going with the portable hole but will I need to go with a full blown ASAP pole or will I be okay just using a single 1-1/2 rigid electrical conduit that is 10 long?

My last question is how is everyone mounting stars on top of their tree? Is that something else I need to take into consideration?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: First Mega Tree Questions

I use 2 1/2 EMT conduit.my tree is 20 high. My base is treated deck boards in an X. I use cable guy wires to hold it up 3 half way up and three on at the top. 6 screw-in ground stakes from Home Depot to attach the guy wires to. My ground is not level either. I use cut pieces of 2x4s to level it.its solid as a rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Are your strips attached directly to the ground on the bottom? Or is that what used 2-1/2” EMT for?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmkoch View Post
    ...........will I be okay just using a single 1-1/2” rigid electrical conduit that is 10’ long?
    You are fine with 1-1/2 EMT for the first 10 feet, but 50 pixels at 2” is more like 14-15 feet. Similar to you, I did a 200 degree, 20 strand, 50 pixel at 2” spacing. I used 1-1/2, then inserted a piece of 1-1/4 into the 1-1/2 then set the length. Drilled and added 2 sheet metal screws to hold the length.

Mine is free standing using 1/2 ent to build legs and braces. 8-90 bends for the feet. I did 8’ diameter
    Straps are attached with bungees to 8’ ring like base.
    Last edited by mrGrumpy; 12-27-2019 at 07:37 PM.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

After more digging it seems like going with the Holiday Coro QuickTree topper(QT8) with a 10’ 1-3/8” top fence rail in the portable hole would be quick and easy, thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    You are fine with 1-1/2 EMT for the first 10 feet, but 50 pixels at 2” is more like 14-15 feet.
    Wouldn't 50 pixels at 2” be like 8’ minus the angle?

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't 50 pixels at 2” be like 8’ minus the angle?
    Handy dandy calculator
    https://www.lightshowhub.com/tools/mega-tree-calculator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neonexpresso View Post
    How do I get it to calculate the length of the pole? I have played around with that but I wasn’t able to get it to suggest sizes for anything. I just had to manually put my lengths in for everything.

Post Thanks / Like

How do I get it to calculate the length of the pole? I have played around with that but I wasn’t able to get it to suggest sizes for anything. I just had to manually put my lengths in for everything.
    I tried using that link and finally just did what looked right for me. As a reference for you, I use 50-pixel strings mounted into Boscoyo strips, 24 total, for a 360 degree tree. The pixels are spaced 2" apart and I found that 1 EMT pole measuring 10' in height was enough to mount the strings, the topper and the star -- each strip is just over 8' long. I went with a 30" radius for the pixels - a little narrower than I did last year to help keep the strips closer together. The pole sits on a wooden circle that just sits on the grass (there is a metal flange I screwed into the wooden circle to keep the pole from moving around) and I have the Boscoyo mega tree kit holding it up (meaning not only did I get the topper, but I also have 3 guy wires mounted about 4' up the pole and staked into the ground). Where I live in Oregon there's not much wind so I don't have to worry about my tree blowing over...at least, not yet. Strips are held down at the bottom using simple tent stakes - I also deal with an uneven front yard but am able to compensate using the stakes. I think my calculations came up with something like 7 3/4" spacing at the bottom between strips - there are 2 at the back that are a little wider than that, but since they are at the back, no one can see them and I have slightly easier access to the controller box if I need it. Next year I plan on getting an actual base made of metal tubing so I can have everything placed and spaced perfectly.

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't 50 pixels at 2 be like 8 minus the angle?
    Oops, yeah.....I did 3
    In Lights Therapy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast