Thread: Power in the yard

Post Thanks / Like

Default Power in the yard

Has anyone come up with a flush/floor mounted power solution in the yard? I did some googling but only found things that were in the $200-$1000 commercial range. Would love to mount power flush (or close to flush) with the ground so don't have to worry about the lawn mower hitting it. Has anyone done or seen anything like this?

-Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Power in the yard

120V line voltage or something lower like 12V or 5V? Can't give you advice on a 120V solution other than be careful with anything that can fill with water, but for low voltage, in ground sprinkler valve enclosures are flush mounted and can contain low voltage and data.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking 120V, but now you've given me something to think about. I suppose I could put the 12V power supplies somewhere protected above ground and just run the lines to sprinkler boxes. Thoughts in what you would put in there to be plugged into?

Post Thanks / Like

For 120v, do you have any trees or shrubs that you could locate a box next to or adjacent to?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, just put in one if these, neighbor uses it to hide an outlet box in the front if his yard

NDS Inch, Black/Green 107BC Standard Series Round Valve Box Overlapping Cover-ICV, 6-Inc, 6'' B/G, Black & Green https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HE9YZG..._o0ybEb71C7707

Post Thanks / Like

I typically see boxes mounted at tree bases in a upright position with a spring flap that opens up (not sideways or down) to act as a rain diverter by covering the plug like an umbrella. Never seen one mounted in ground like you want. I like the idea above with the sprinkler box if you have good drainage. Filling with water is the biggest issue with in ground electrical and could get expensive very quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

For 120v, do you have any trees or shrubs that you could locate a box next to or adjacent to?
    I do have a tree near one spot.

Yeah, just put in one if these, neighbor uses it to hide an outlet box in the front if his yard

NDS Inch, Black/Green 107BC Standard Series Round Valve Box Overlapping Cover-ICV, 6-Inc, 6'' B/G, Black & Green https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HE9YZG..._o0ybEb71C7707
    I suppose with the sprinker box you could still mount it upright in the hole and in an outside box inside there....

Never seen one mounted in ground like you want.
    This is the ground one I found, but they are $231 a pop.

Post Thanks / Like

You could probably achieve something similar by using liquid tight flexible plastic conduit run to a box mounted to the bottom of a sprinkler box lid. Position it upside down like the manufactured assembly and use a plastic weather tight receptacle enclosure so the whole thing is waterproof. Cut a slot in the lid to pass the cords through and it should be a nice useable solution. The LiquidTight would allow for flexibility then opening the lid to plug in cords.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pjones View Post
    You could probably achieve something similar by using liquid tight flexible plastic conduit run to a box mounted to the bottom of a sprinkler box lid. Position it upside down like the manufactured assembly and use a plastic weather tight receptacle enclosure so the whole thing is waterproof. Cut a slot in the lid to pass the cords through and it should be a nice useable solution. The LiquidTight would allow for flexibility then opening the lid to plug in cords.

That sounds workable. Something to experiment with. Thanks!