Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 5v pixel power inject

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 5v pixel power inject

Has anyone tried anything like these for power injection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My concern would be water intrusion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TSL View Post
    My concern would be water intrusion.

I use these same connections on my Halloween set up , not with lights, but to feed power to all of my 12 volt pneumatic solenoids and have never shorted anything out yet (knock on wood) but , again that wasnít on led lights .

Post Thanks / Like

Put some corrosion-X on them and they should work just fine.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Put some corrosion-X on them and they should work just fine.
    Thatís what I was thinking just curious if anyone has used this type splitter thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I think your main concern should be current draw. 5V lights require more current than 12V lights (I am a 5V guy, with around 28,000 5V pixels, so don't think that I am knocking them!). The main wire in that picture looks like it is the same gauge as the eight splitter wires. Let's say you are thinking "well I can supply power to eight strings of 50 with this". Each of those strings of 50 might draw an amp conservatively and you would be expecting that skinny feeder wire to carry 8 amps. I know it is only a foot long, but I would be doing a more careful analysis of what gauge it is and how many amps you're expecting it to carry. Also voltage drop across that one foot based on current draw.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4lights View Post
    I think your main concern should be current draw. 5V lights require more current than 12V lights (I am a 5V guy, with around 28,000 5V pixels, so don't think that I am knocking them!). The main wire in that picture looks like it is the same gauge as the eight splitter wires. Let's say you are thinking "well I can supply power to eight strings of 50 with this". Each of those strings of 50 might draw an amp conservatively and you would be expecting that skinny feeder wire to carry 8 amps. I know it is only a foot long, but I would be doing a more careful analysis of what gauge it is and how many amps you're expecting it to carry. Also voltage drop across that one foot based on current draw.
    Thanks ,was only planning on using one set per 150 pixels and terminating the remainders.

Post Thanks / Like

I think your main concern should be current draw. 5V lights require more current than 12V lights
    This is not my experience. 5v pixels and 12v pixels draw the same current (around 0.06a/pixel). 5V pixels use 0.3w/pixel and 12v pixels use 0.72w/pixels. I use 5v pixels in my show because they use LESS power than 12v pixels for the same amount of light.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    This is not my experience. 5v pixels and 12v pixels draw the same current (around 0.06a/pixel). 5V pixels use 0.3w/pixel and 12v pixels use 0.72w/pixels. I use 5v pixels in my show because they use LESS power than 12v pixels for the same amount of light.
    I think it depends how you power inject and how much voltage drop impact you get on the current. That being said in theory you're probably more correct than I am. Regardless, I'd still be worried about how many amps that main wire can handle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends how you power inject and how much voltage drop impact you get on the current. That being said in theory you're probably more correct than I am. Regardless, I'd still be worried about how many amps that main wire can handle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    From what Iíve read they are rated at max 5 amps .

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast