Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5v pixel power inject

Post Thanks / Like

Default 5v pixel power inject

On 5v pixels how often do you power inject?

Is 24awg pixels able to work at all?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 5v pixel power inject

as a 5v user, i will say this. sometimes the savings between 5v and 12v isn't worth the headache. i use 5v on my matrix (1536 nodes divided across 4 ports) and my megatree (2880 nodes divided across 16 ports of 180 each). for me, using 5v on the above mentioned props keeps everything in close proximity making it easier to inject. i personally would not use them on props because of the needed pwr injection. if they are 24awg, you will for sure be injecting after every 50. i would also suggest that you DO NOT run them above 30% brightness as this will decrease the length of run before needing injection. at a lower brightness setting you may be able to get as many as 60-70 before needing to inject.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 5V pixels for 99% of my show. 24awg wire is a waste of time. I inject every 25 pixels. I inject every 25 pixels. However every injection point serves 50 pixels (25 left and 25 right). The wire from the PSU is 16 awg and feeds multiple injection points. My design is for 100% brightness.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Ray wu also has 20awg wire for a couple dollars more than the 24. If i up to that do you still think ill have to inject at 50.

Post Thanks / Like

My show is 100% 5 V pixels. I power inject every 50 pixels to ensure I can run at 100% intensity but in actuality, I only run at 50% which is plenty bright. I run 14 gauge wire for power. Most of my pixels are 18 gauge wiring from Ray Wu. Longest power run is about 30 feet.
    Last edited by ezellner; 12-20-2019 at 08:35 AM.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

Are there terminal blocks or what do you use to get the power to them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It depends. I have a terminal block on each prop. From the block to the injection points depends on the prop. Canes are short so I use 20AWG wire from the block to the injection point. All injection points are soldered (no connectors). Terminal block is in a printed box attached to the prop. Arches use a single 16 AWG wire that runs the src of the arch and injects as needed using a 20awg tail wire. Also all soldered. My mega tree is different. Each leg has a 16awg wire that runs the length of the leg and then has a tail that goes to a PSU at the trunk of the tree. The PSU is in a case with a bunch of terminal blocks. Two PSU assemblies power the tree.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gump2388 View Post
    Are there terminal blocks or what do you use to get the power to them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    lets take a couple of steps back. based on your initial question, looks like you are a newbie to this fun loving hobby. we have all been there and you are getting a good jump on 2020 vs waiting until May/June to start asking these questions.

what controller will you be using to run your show? while there are a few to choose from, many use the falcon controllers from David Pitts at pixelcontroller.com. he also sells distro boards for power injection. in this hobby, learn to pick your battles. and what i mean by that is, yes you can get a fuse terminal from ebay or amazon that will work the same, but the distro boards from pitts are fairly inexpensive and are pretty much plug and play. and the distro boards much like the terminals from ebay/amazon are only for pwr injection and do not care where the data source comes from.

Post Thanks / Like

You are correct i am a newbie to pixels. I ran a HLS show back about 5 years ago before kids. Now my oldest is 6 so we are wanting to get started up again.
    Im going 100 percent pixels this time so no renards or no AC controllers.

Im going to start with the f48 and the receivers for it.

That said im planning on using how ever many receivers it takes per prop. That includes the power supply or supplies.

For 2020 im going to be small
    Planning on a ~ 20 foot megatree 32 strips 100 nodes per strip
    4 or 5 circle matrixs
    And the house/window outlines.
    That will be all for 2020 unless i find pixels cheaper or used.

I asked all the questions because people have been there and id rather listen to experience than pay for it.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, I use 5V for my pixels as well. That said I am only using Pixels for Props not roofline, house outline. I find for the Prop the Power Injection is easy to do since everything is located in a small area. If I was ever to do linear runs of pixels, I would definitely use 12V because of the longer runs available between PI points. Martin was talking above about injecting every 25 pixels, I think he is being extremely conservative. I personally power the beginning of the string, then every 100 pixels, that gives me power at every 50 pixels, since power runs both ways down the wires. I also run all my direct view pixels @ 30% brightness and have no issues. I run a lot of 16 AWG wire for my PI points. I too use one of the Distro boards available on the market. The Falcon is nice, but I prefer the Renard Plus DC Distro board as it has resettable Poly fuses. Distro boards make life a lot easier than generic pieces from the internet. I have used both.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast