Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 5v pixel power inject

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 5v pixel power inject

Itís actually a yellowish gold color. Before the power injection In some of the sequences the color variance looked really neat in some cases. But it all went away once the power injection was added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I use all 5V pixels. 3200 pixels in my show. I use all Alitive pixels from Amazon at $125 per 500. I think they are 20 guage. I make sure they are always 50 pixels away from power. (Although i have 2 runs of 64 pixels with no problems). I inject power every 100 pixels sending in 10amps of current to supply 5 amps upstream and 5 amps downstream. I use 16 guage wire at 10 feet max from power supply to injection point. I am designed for full white power at 100% but run at 40% just because its way to bright at 100%.

Post Thanks / Like

Wanting to clarify my understanding of power injection... as long as I am injecting strings on the same psu that is already utilizing the ground then I only need run a hot wire for injection and if I inject from a separate psu I need to tie in ground aswell. Am I understanding correctly ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wilmar View Post
    Wanting to clarify my understanding of power injection... as long as I am injecting strings on the same psu that is already utilizing the ground then I only need run a hot wire for injection and if I inject from a separate psu I need to tie in ground aswell. Am I understanding correctly ?

100% wrong.

You get voltage drop on BOTH the V+ and V- wires. For this reason power is delivered by TWO wires to the injection point. You must bring both V+ AND V- from the PSU to the power injection point. This is true whether there are one or many PSUs powering the string. FYI, it is very rare to have a single string that will consume all of the power from a PSU. 670 pixels (max string length at 25 ms refresh rate) will draw about 40A. Well within the capability of a 5v 60A PSU.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    100% wrong.

You get voltage drop on BOTH the V+ and V- wires. For this reason power is delivered by TWO wires to the injection point. You must bring both V+ AND V- from the PSU to the power injection point. This is true whether there are one or many PSUs powering the string. FYI, it is very rare to have a single string that will consume all of the power from a PSU. 670 pixels (max string length at 25 ms refresh rate) will draw about 40A. Well within the capability of a 5v 60A PSU.
    Thanks I am using 12v 350 watt psu to run all 5 volt pixels on my house outline with buck converters on each 50 bullet string wanted to make sure as I am making the power injection wires into the channel system holding my lights almost like a premade wiring harness for the roofing to be plug and play .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wilmar View Post
    Thanks I am using 12v 350 watt psu to run all 5 volt pixels on my house outline with buck converters on each 50 bullet string wanted to make sure as I am making the power injection wires into the channel system holding my lights almost like a premade wiring harness for the roofing to be plug and play .

From the point of view of power injection, each buck converter is a PSU. Make sure you cut the V+ wire in the pixel string somewhere between the injection points or the buck converters will burn each other out.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

Great info , thanks for the help learning something new everyday .

Post Thanks / Like

From the point of view of power injection, each buck converter is a PSU. Make sure you cut the V+ wire in the pixel string somewhere between the injection points or the buck converters will burn each other out.
    So I found some other converters Iím thinking of using as the 3 amp ones only do so many . If I use these I should be able to run a full 150 5volt pixels off of it correct itís 15 amp.

Post Thanks / Like

If your entire string is using a single PSU then you doo not need to cut the V+ line in the string. 5V pixels use 0.06A per pixel. That converter gives you a budget of 12a

Post Thanks / Like

If your entire string is using a single PSU then you doo not need to cut the V+ line in the string. 5V pixels use 0.06A per pixel. That converter gives you a budget of 12a
    Great thanks

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast