Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks everyone on DIYC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks everyone on DIYC

Thanks to everyone on DIYC the advice given is in so much detail I managed to make 3 snowflakes and 4 leaping arches and they work great. 3 things I have learned is 1, the wife hates it. 2, how much your fingers hurt after working on wires for 4 days solid. 3 ,invest in a decent wire stripper and soldering iron. Only thing is now I'm addicted and already thinking about next year and using pi and falcon or e682 controllers.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thanks everyone on DIYC

The tools you use set the complexity of your builds for sure. A decent solder station that rapidly heats and has temperature control makes a world of difference. A nice heat shrink gun and a bunch of heat string from Mouser is invaluable too. Yesterday I made a couple test adapters to hook a cheapo pixel driver to my waterproof connectors so I can easily test ribbon. When I was done I glanced over at my solder station, and sent a mental thank you out to the community for the hint that led to it's purchase.

By the way, I don't think my wife hates it... but she's not in the least bit interested in anything having to do with its construction, programming or sequencing. But she likes the results of my labor. So there's that.

Enjoy your time here. It's addictive, but it's also lots of fun.

Jeff
    Please consider becoming a Supporting Member of DIYC. Show your thanks to those who make this place possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Give your wife a little time and she'll may get sucked in.
    Year one my wife was rolling her eyes at what she considered a gaudy display.
    Year two she was posting clips on Facebook for her friends.
    This year she picked the sequences for the Sunday - Thursday show schedule.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to what has been mentioned and are not going the wireless route and using cat5 or 6 cables. Get the tools to make your own cables. Also get an Ethernet cable tester. Itís a life saver when diagnosing erratic issues which are usually bad cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with "get her active in the process". Mine went from helping to plug in hundreds of power connectors (AC based display), to being the primary sequencer for our park displays (pixels). Now she is fully involved in every step of it, including building props. (And she does a great job of it, as well.)
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty lucky, my wife was all about us trying to do a display with pixels this year. She helped me zip tie all the lights to PVC pipes for the house outline. Then when it came time to solder wires, connectors, & power injection she wanted me to show her how to do it so she could help. Then the next day while I was at work she made up the rest of the power injection cables with the connectors for me. I am grateful that she is all about decorating our house for Xmas and she is willing to help and learn. She hasnít asked to learn how to sequence yet, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

If only my wife had the patience to sit and solder . However at new year the wirm turned and she said she liked what I had done and what's the next plan. soooo in a few months I'm going to get her involved. I may have a small terraced house for now but she can help plan outlines and a matrix of some sort.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife likes it, will find stuff after Christmas and ask if we can use it in the display, and will help in setup when I need it. Solder and programming, nope!
    Zaker

1 - Ren 64
    4 - Ren 24
    1 - Ren48LSD
    2 - E681
    LOTS OF LIGHTS!!
    [URL]http://lights.quietwebhosting.com[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Well update the worm is turning I've got matrix strips and an icosa star on route. As of today she has agreed to help me build the star. I nearly fell over wonder if I can get her to help with tree next????����

Post Thanks / Like

Since we're singing the praises of our wives, I have to chime in and say this: my wife won't do the soldering, but she'll gladly get up on a ladder and help hang/mount strings, or stand in the rain holding stuff or trying to keep me dry if I'm doing anything with power outside. She is also the voice of reason when I come up with a new "awesome" idea (), the one to remind me that if there is a certain tool or support item need to not go cheap, and great at pointing out design ideas and prop location placement given our small yard space.

As far as sequencing goes, she says she doesn't want to 'intrude' on the space that my youngest daughter and I have already carved out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast