Thread: Null pixel with forkineye firmware

Post Thanks / Like

Default Null pixel with forkineye firmware

Maybe I'm blind, but I cannot for the life of me find an option for a null pixel in the forkineye espixelstick firmware I have flashed to my Wemos d1 mini. But for some reason, I could have sworn I saw it somewhere at some point in a build. Am I blind? Was this removed? I'm using the latest November build (hoping there was more features)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Null pixel with forkineye firmware

There isn't one. Account for the dark channels in the sequencer instead.

Post Thanks / Like

If you use Renard-Plus's pixel extender you don't need to mess with null pixels at all, and it provides a nice way to inject power, too:

http://www.renard-shop.com/home/86-pix-extender.html (with terminal blocks)

http://www.renard-shop.com/home/87-pix-extender.html (without terminal blocks)

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Is this something that may have popped up as a proof of concept in a dev build and been pulled? I keep swearing I remember seeing it at some point lol. Apart from that, I'm using the null pixels as part of a Wemos d1 mini hack and a diode. To reduce the logic level. How would I best account for that in vixen and make sure it regenerates and passes through to the rest? It's actually quite an issue for example with my mini trees who are I series connected to the Wemos. Being one pixel shifted means trees randomly lighting up a single pixel when they shouldn't be

Post Thanks / Like

Just skip those channels when you’re patching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Just skip those channels when you’re patching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Forgive me for being dense here, but wouldn't trying to skip over 3 channels during patching just result in that first null pixel becoming "pixel #2"? Rather than the second physical pixel in the string becoming Pixel #1 in your effects string which is the desired goal? Let's say I have 51 pixel string with pixel 1 in the string being a null. I have my controller in vixen all unpatched starting from #1. How does that patch look like?

Post Thanks / Like

a null pixel is nothing more than a pixel you don't ever want lit. If you define a null pixel in the controller it just inserts 3 channels worth of zeros (for each null pixel defined) before the rest of the pixel data it sends to the string. If you do it in the sequencer, the sequencer generates those 3 channels of zeros. But on the controller, you need to assign the start channel to include the empty channels and your string size will be the number of pixels plus the number of null pixels.
    So for your example, say you're starting at channel 1. You'll patch the 50 elements to channels 4 thru 153 leaving 1-3 empty. You'll set up the controller to start at 1 and have 51 pixels.