Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assign DMX devices to a single universe ...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Assign DMX devices to a single universe ...

OK, I'll concede that we don't have the cursor keys hooked into this feature. You are welcome to log a feature request ticket for this so it can be sorted and prioritized into the development workflow.
    However, at the same time, your complaint was not having to click hundreds of times. Holding down that arrow key doesn't seem to satisfy that request either. The option with two clicks and shift seems to meet that need better. I don't know where the Apple comment came from. This method sure is a windows thing, it works in excel, IE, Edge, Outlook, Word, Explorer, even on the desktop icons.
    In the end the best solution for what you're wanting to do is probably neither of the above, but rather the ability to start from the selected channel and continue to use all available subsequent channels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    OK, I'll concede that we don't have the cursor keys hooked into this feature. You are welcome to log a feature request ticket for this so it can be sorted and prioritized into the development workflow.
    However, at the same time, your complaint was not having to click hundreds of times. Holding down that arrow key doesn't seem to satisfy that request either. The option with two clicks and shift seems to meet that need better. I don't know where the Apple comment came from. This method sure is a windows thing, it works in excel, IE, Edge, Outlook, Word, Explorer, even on the desktop icons.
    In the end the best solution for what you're wanting to do is probably neither of the above, but rather the ability to start from the selected channel and continue to use all available subsequent channels.
    APPLE has a way of doing things differently ... just like the early years in DOS with Word Perfect VS MS Word ... this method you outlined is something I have never encountered or used in the past. It would be great to select the start channel and SHIFT+(arrow or PGUP/DN) -- seems more intuitive for users.

Option 3 -- that would be excellent to pick a start channel and auto fill in the rest of the channels the prop needs. I would advocate some checking to inform the user the if it needs to overwrite assigned channels so the user has that option.

Thanks

Oh --- if you know what this means "A> g=c800:5" ... you are old - LMAO!

Thanks for your time Jon - it is appreciated.
    Last edited by RGB_Mixer; 12-15-2019 at 01:44 PM.
    -Eddie

The missus wants to ride!

Post Thanks / Like

FYI, most of our keystrokes and UI workflow is designed with the assumption that you keep one hand on the keyboard and one hand on the mouse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RGB_Mixer View Post
    APPLE has a way of doing things differently ... just like the early years in DOS with Word Perfect VS MS Word ... this method you outlined is something I have never encountered or used in the past. It would be great to select the start channel and SHIFT+(arrow or PGUP/DN) -- seems more intuitive for users.

Option 3 -- that would be excellent to pick a start channel and auto fill in the rest of the channels the prop needs. I would advocate some checking to inform the user the if it needs to overwrite assigned channels so the user has that option.

Thanks

Oh --- if you know what this means "A> g=c800:5" ... you are old - LMAO!

Thanks for your time Jon - it is appreciated.
    I use a Mac for a lot of my daily needs and it does support the click in one location and then hold shift and click in something else and it will do a range select. It will behave just like most windows apps do. That works in Finder, Numbers and many other OSX apps. It is most prevalent in Numbers where you can select a block of a column or a square block of rows and columns and would be faster than using the arrows if can easily click the edges of the range. In fact I would say that most all of those keyboard selection type things work the same in Windows and OSX. The up down arrow keys are just not coded to work in the display setup like they should be and I would agree a feature request is a valid request there.

Post Thanks / Like

Gentlemen,

With all the difficulties I have run into this year, frustration is inevitable. 2 primary controllers with intermittent failures and a dead backup ... hardware failures that occur without reason ... things working perfectly suddenly not working properly with NO apparent reason - hardware usually and a RESET gets it going again ... this year has been bad for all these GREMLINS creeping around in my hardware.

My time volunteering at Oshkosh "Celebration of Lights" (COL) has taken allot of the time I would have had to take care of my home. A wind storm did some damage I still have not been able to fix. Running around checking things - already had a large steel arch fall on a vehicle - gratefully no one was hurt.

These folks from "COL" raise funds for the local Oshkosh area and support area food banks, too. FACEBOOK: Celebration of Lights

I appreciate the help more than you know so if I *DO* sound ... for a lack of better words ... irritable, thanks for your patience.

As for APPLE? It was meant as a reference as they do things rather differently.

I do go back a way ... built an Altair 8080 in '75 using an Intel 8080 chip and 6 years later IBM came out with the first PC.

However, in the past 45 years using computers (most will only see a 10 CPS teletype and paper tape punch/reader and know what an acoustic modem is)

This method of multiple selection I have never heard of or used. Since you guys say it is there and works ... cool. Learn something new every day.

I do keep a spread sheet of props with start/end universes and channels. Formulas to keep track of things also.

I am leaning towards POINT and SHOOT as I mentioned earlier with some error checking. As much as I would like to help code it, my skill set leans more towards hardware: 25+ years electrician w/a degree electrical engineering, digital and analog electronics.

My coding days are over. Coded for UPS IT center in Mahwah, NJ - burnt out. I can do assembler, Cobol, Basic and C. I can still do some Fortran with a reference book ... mostly dead languages by today's standards.

Thanks again
    -Eddie

The missus wants to ride!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12