Thread: Pixel sphere prop?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pixel sphere prop?

Hello,
    How do I create sphere prop in Vixen Lights? I know how to create props using prop editor, but sphere is 3 dimensional element. Is there already smart sphere object?

I created sphere topper for my Mega Tree and a bit lost...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pixel sphere prop?

Deleted
    Last edited by gassy; 12-10-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It really depends what you expect to achieve. Vixen is 2D. Everything in vixen is done in 2d space. So with that in mind, you'd need to decide how you want to represent the 3d object in 2d sequencing space. One idea would be to use the megatree object. You can widen out the top and get something close to a cylinder. Or you can model it as a matrix and just sequence it flat.
    One thing to keep in mind is that location based effects rely on the 2D positions from the preview. So you might not be able to rely on location based effects to render properly on the sphere that is flattened in the preview.

Post Thanks / Like

I was hopping to use it as sphere matrix (show text and other cool effects). Kind of like mega tree, with compensation for shape. My sphere is 280 pixels, built vertically like a mega tree 10 x 28
    Last edited by EvoMoto; 12-10-2019 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Typo

Post Thanks / Like

The same location based caveats apply to megatrees of more than 180 degrees. Because it's flattened, the pixels on the back side are between the strings on the front side. So location effects won't work out right on them. So the visual compensation really doesn't accomplish anything useful. But string based effects (or effects in strings mode) will work fine regardless of how it's modeled in the preview. You could draw it as a flat matrix and it'd work the same on the lights.

Post Thanks / Like

XLights has the sphere model, but I like Vixen so much better. Any plans to add it to Vexen in the near future?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    The same location based caveats apply to megatrees of more than 180 degrees. Because it's flattened, the pixels on the back side are between the strings on the front side. So location effects won't work out right on them. So the visual compensation really doesn't accomplish anything useful. But string based effects (or effects in strings mode) will work fine regardless of how it's modeled in the preview. You could draw it as a flat matrix and it'd work the same on the lights.
    Thank you, I’ll use matrix as you suggesting.

Post Thanks / Like

xLights has 3D functionality, so 3D models are actually useful there. We're not there yet.

I believe yours is the first request for a sphere. We generally prioritize our enhancements based on popularity and need. So the more people who ask for it, the more quickly it'll get added. The best way to make sure feature requests are properly tracked and sorted is to enter it as a feature request ticket on bugs.vixenlights.com.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe more people will be interested in the sphere after I post video of it ;)

Post Thanks / Like

Mapping as matrix worked fine for now, but it would be cool to compensate the effects for a sphere curves and to see the sphere in preview.