Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What device are you using and how are you capturing your show with video?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What device are you using and how are you capturing your show with video?

As the topic says, what are people using? I have tried my Samsung Galaxy S9 camera, an HD video camera, and a Samsung tablet camera. The LED lights are so bright I get over-saturation in the video and it's hard to make out individual lights or the colors are washed out. Going to a lower brightness seems to make the video look very grainy.

Are there some tricks or settings I can try to get clear video that isn't saturated or grainy?? Google has not been helpful thus far. I read things about higher ISO settings but none of the cameras I listed allow me to change ISO while recording video.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What device are you using and how are you capturing your show with video?

With those devices, one thing to try is fireworks mode or look up tips for taking pictures of fireworks with those models, the settings will be applicable mostly. I have the same issue here. I've had some luck using exposure lock and a little distance, but I too wouldike to know about the above

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What device are you using and how are you capturing your show with video?

Yuneec drone......

Post Thanks / Like

Smart Phone, Dusk. I have my lights set at 30%

Post Thanks / Like

GoPro. Change ISO settings, reduce show to 25%, stand across the street.
    Last edited by MartinMueller2003; 12-10-2019 at 09:17 AM.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I shot my videos with a DJI Phantom 4 Pro. Almost every video it was sitting on something and not flying. I just like itís camera.

I turn everything down to 10%, turn everything Auto on the camera off. Shoot at wee hours of the morning to avoid vehicle lights.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I should have mentioned that all the pixel lights are being run from E682 controllers, so my only options for dimming are 100%, 50%, and 25% -- I am running my show at 50%. Guess I could change the brightness down to 25% and see how that works. Also, there is a street light on the corner right next to my house that is "intruding" on both my display and my recording - it's challenging to try to record video without getting that light popping in on the left side of the frame.

While recording, I am standing across the street. Streets here in my area of Oregon are not very wide - barely wide enough for 2 cars to pass by each other, with no parking allowed on the street itself. I estimate that I am about 30-35 ft from my house when recording. I can't move any further away or I'll be standing on my neighbors porch to shoot. So far, I am shooting late at night to try to minimize vehicle traffic interfering with the recording as I live in a pretty packed neighborhood.

I was hoping to not have to buy another video camera (including one on a drone) to be able to get adjustable ISO settings, but I may have to look into that. I am just not much of a camera person, so haven't had the need...until now...

Thanks to all for the responses.

Post Thanks / Like

I downloaded an app called FilMic Pro for my Samsung Galaxy 7. It allows to adjust the camera settings. Took a little experimenting, but at 20% intensity, middle of the night in Alaska, I got passable videos. It is a paid app, think it was about $10.

Post Thanks / Like

Is this really all people are doing to capture what you see on YouTube? It's weird, I can take 4k quality video on this note 9, and I understand the reasons why it doesn't have as good an iso level or quality in the dark. I actually always thought that most drones didn't have the camera always built in or people just attached something to it. I can relate stormy blade, my "road" isn't really a road, it's a lane that can barely just pass two cars, no sidewalk. It is exceedingly hard to film from a far enough distance to capture everything and not have the lights film weird.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Is this really all people are doing to capture what you see on YouTube? It's weird, I can take 4k quality video on this note 9, and I understand the reasons why it doesn't have as good an iso level or quality in the dark. I actually always thought that most drones didn't have the camera always built in or people just attached something to it. I can relate stormy blade, my "road" isn't really a road, it's a lane that can barely just pass two cars, no sidewalk. It is exceedingly hard to film from a far enough distance to capture everything and not have the lights film weird.
    Yeah, gotta love urban crowding here in the greater Portland metro area. I can't go anywhere else due to the street layout and angle where I need to film, except possibly up.

I changed the brightness to 25% output and recorded from across the street and my camera is no longer being saturated by the LED brightness. I also realized that my neighborhood is very noisy and my camera mic picks up far too many ambient noises -- last year I recorded from inside the car so I could get good sound. I had to stop and restart several times due to people walking by, driving by, or asking me questions...while I sitting there, in a chair, with a tripod, and a speaker... I finally just kept some of the videos and posted them anyway - I want to reshoot most of them before the holiday season is over.

Maybe next year I'll look at a drone...maybe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast