Thread: How to set different size of pixel strings using Teensy 3.2 and OCTOWS2811

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to set different size of pixel strings using Teensy 3.2 and OCTOWS2811

Two years ago I setup my first Pixel tree using Teensy 3.2 and OCTWS2811 controlled using Vixen and with a lot of help from this forum which worked really great. Although would have been happy if I could have created more sequences. Probably I lack creativity and composing skills.

I am trying to use the existing OCTOWS and Teensy setup to add more pixel strings for arches and other custom designs. But I see the code where its set LEDS per strip as 2100 (14 strings of 50 pixel each * 3) for my pixel tree.

Now I would like to add 25 pixel string for 1 prop and 75 pixel string for another prop but not sure how to set different varying sizes for controlling all 3 strips differently in the code.

Could you suggest how this can be accomplished.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to set different size of pixel strings using Teensy 3.2 and OCTOWS2811

Post your code or a link to it. but it is probably just hard-coding an "if" in the display lights section.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to set different size of pixel strings using Teensy 3.2 and OCTOWS2811

Post Thanks / Like

The way I work around it is I allocate universe per port. If I allocate 1 universe then I know I can put no more than one universe of pixels per port. If say I have a string that I need 4 universes the I setup the code to handle 680 pixels worth of data per port. When I map pixels I keep in mind that each port is a 4 universe port. I use them or loose them. Port 1 is 1-4 universe, port two is 5-8 and so on. In this DIY idustry universes are expendable. May not be a solution for some lighting desks that have a limited amount of universes but for xlights or vixen and alike there is no need to be frugal.

crees
    Last edited by crees; 12-10-2019 at 06:37 PM.