Thread: Glediator...am I missing something?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Glediator...am I missing something?

Hi All!

I've got some WS2811 bullet pixel strings that I intend to make a matrix with. My end point is a 800 pixel 20x40 matrix which will:

(1) display animations in real time using Glediator
    (2) display animations as part of an xlights sequence with other elements

For the past month I've just been putzing around with a test matrix composed of 50 pixels arranged 10x5, with an Arduino as the controller while using the FastLED library to make blinky happen. Cool.

Next step was to see how Glediator works. Got it installed, followed the directions to get the RxTx library files in the right places (supposedly). But even when I have the COM port selected that my arduino and matrix is connected to, I cannot seem to get Glediator to output anything...at all. Needless to say I can't make anything happen when connecting to Xlights either.

Am I missing something in this equation that is needed to actually communicate with the Glediator software, and Xlights as well? I'm fresh in the land of pixels so any input is appreciated.

I use a Macbook, suggesting alternatives like Jinx does not help since, as far as I know Glediator is the only matrix visualizer software that runs on OSX.

Happy to provide more info, thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Glediator...am I missing something?

really, nothing? Any advice on getting the matrix to communicate with xlights for a mac user will be whole heartedly welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing you'd have more luck in the Arduino category?
    http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...php?93-Arduino

The Arduino and Glediator are definitely outside my experience!
    https://RudolphSearch.com - Making it easier to find info across the Christmas Light forums!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    I've done all the things in that tutorial, it seems like I'm unable to actually open the communication port despite using the same sketch etc. I'll try reposting in the arduino forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Which Arduino are you using ? The tutorial appears to be for nano or equivalent . The coding for a mega to work is different .

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=344136.0

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried using a nano, genuine uno, and mega. No success with either of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Am I supposed to be jumpering the Rx and Tx pins? Or perhaps using one of those serial adapter usb things with the arduino?

Post Thanks / Like

Just in case its relevant, figured I'd mention that I have not been using a power supply to power the 50 pixel test matrix - figured it wasn't that many pixels and that for testing purposes the usb powered arduino would be capable of delivering the requisite amount of power. Any chance this may be the reason for the in ability to establish communication with glediator?