Thread: Pixel Tree Star Wiring

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pixel Tree Star Wiring

Hi,

I am adding a star to the top of my pixel tree. I have an e682 at the bottom of the tree and all outputs are used for the strips of the tree. I am wondering what the best way to connect the star is. Was thinking that I can just wire to the last string of the tree but not sure that is the best configuration. The 16 strips on the tree are 50 pixel 12v strips. Anyone have recommendations?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pixel Tree Star Wiring

When I wired my Pixel tree, I only had 21 nodes on each string. So what I did was zig zag. In the drawing you can see I have a 12 string tree. But I only use 6 sockets. Each string is 42 nodes and I reverse every 21. So I just wired a connector between each two strings at the top of the tree. Due to the fact that you use a full 50 nodes per string, if you were to do the same as I did, and then also inject power at the bottom pf the second string... You would reduce your number of sockets to 8 by changing to 100 node strings reversing every 50. Then you'd have 8 sockets to expand for your star and other things.

Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 6.33.20 PM.png
    2020 Display is modeled in xLights on the MacBook Air.
    Show folder is copied to my wife's PC, as she wants to learn.
    1 of 3 old sequences I intend to use imported from LOR.
    20 Major hardware items on the calendar to be completed.
    Positive attitude. Parts on order. Brand new Solder Station.
    303 days to light as of this Signature edit... LET'S GO!

Post Thanks / Like

What Jeff said...

I have a 24 string, 50 pixels per string mega tree, combined into 12 outputs from my E682 and mapped as 100-pixel strings within xLights. My E682 is also treating the strings as 100 pixels per string. Output #13 is for my 90 pixel star.

Oh, and unless you keep your brightness at 100%, you won't need to power inject. Use at least 2 power supplies and you'll be fine - I used 1 power supply for each "side" of my E682.
    Last edited by Stormyblade; 12-16-2019 at 04:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

What firmware are you using with the E682?
    How many pixels in the star?
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Firmware is 4.081. The star is 90 pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a great idea. I think my use of outputs could be much more efficient by doing this. I guess I will have to reconfigure for next year.

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Adding $.02 to the list...
    We have 4 mega-trees ranging from 14' to 12' tall, each using the E682. Upgraded to the latest firmware (5.+) makes it possible for us to use 15 strings for the tree, then the 16th output for the spinners on top. 14' has 50 pixels per output for the first 15 outputs, and 96 pixels on output 16. 12' has 38 pixels per output for the first 15, with 96 pixels on that 16th output. Works great.

One thing I do need to do is to drop the resistor packs down so that the cable length to the spinner can be greater, but all in all they have worked now for years without problem.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

My pixel tree is 16 strings, 53 pixels each. I attached the 90 pixel star to the end of the 15th string which went up and then the out of the star to the 16th string. I adjusted my prop in Vixen. Been working great and it freed up an output. I added injection at the end of string 16 only. I just had to make sure when patching that I patch the star before string 16. I did the same thing with my 3 pixel poles with stars.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk