Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How could I mimic traditional old school Christmas lights in xLights?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How could I mimic traditional old school Christmas lights in xLights?

Hello! Iím a noob to RGB light shows, but Iíve managed to get myself up and running with a mega tree a 1,000 or so additional nodes on various props. I can make decent animations and sequences in xLights and everything is going ok.

Where Iím stumped is I want to mimic traditional stings of Christmas lights for part of sequence. You know, just repeating red, green, orange, blue, and so on. No animation. Is there a way I can do that in xLights?

Iíve been able to beat up several effects to get something in the right neighborhood, but nothing perfect. Any advice is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How could I mimic traditional old school Christmas lights in xLights?

Iím a vixen user but maybe there is something similar in x-lights. I use an alternating effect set to static. Then I add all the colors I want. Hopefully that points you in the right direction!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How could I mimic traditional old school Christmas lights in xLights?

Thanks for the advice. I’ve had some success with the “single string” and even “strobe” effects with some tweaks, but nothing super close to what I’m trying to achieve.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be interested in this too. I have a relatively simple show: basically I have strings of christmas lights that look normal, then the grinch appears and "pulls" them off, i.e. the slide off to the side of the house. I couldn't see a clear way to do that effect in one of the software packages, so I wound up coding it in python using OLA. I've had a lot of fun doing that but I'm curious if I wanted to combine it with a more active "show" how I could do that.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

On/off effect with a single color applied to the whole model repeatedly should work. If the transitions are too hard, you can mess with the in and out transitions to soften it a bit. If youíre wanting just static lights that alternate colors on the strands, you can use the ďbarsĒ effect and narrow the bars down and select no movement on the effect.

As for the grinch pulling off the lights, the ďcurtainĒ effect in Xlights can probably do that.
    Last edited by Kensington; 12-08-2019 at 02:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the hints. I'm not able to wrap my head around the on/off method yet, but I tried the bars one. Problem there is I can only get the bars so narrow, and at that point they are still a dozen pixels wide each color.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Angus40. That's sort of the effect I am after. How would I achieve that in xLights?

Post Thanks / Like

I have no Idea how to use the current xlights version . the older version had a pictures feature where one could apply a sequence of jpg/png to a pixel element .

If xlights still has the feature , it is great for adding custom effects created using 3rd party apps like Adobe etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Single strand effect can do this. So can marquee. Remember to set buffer to single strand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast