Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Latency problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Latency problems

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    You could plug that BEFSR back into the network. But instead of connecting thru it, keep the netgear in place between the FPP and the AP, and then connect another port of the netgear to the old BEFSR router. Then your show traffic won't be going thru the old router but the router will be on the network and able to serve DHCP to all the devices.
    I tryed that last night after the show was over and it seemed to work. I will have to watch some more to make sure. I also unplugged one of my WiFi SSRs that is around the corner of the house from the AP. I had tried that before the connection change. I was thinking that dropped packets could be causing a lag as well. I won't be able to do much checking tonight because we have a TSO concert tonight With the dropped packets is that a Unicast thing or multicast? All my stuff is multicast.
    Dave-1200Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

You can get dropped packets on either multicast or unicast. Any time a packet is not received due to poor reception or interference, you have a dropped packet. However what happens when a packet is dropped is different between multicast and unicast. In multicast the packet is simply missed by the receiver and the AP keeps going on transmitting the next packets. In unicast, the packets will be retransmitted until the receiver acknowledges receipt. This causes backups in the transmit queue and packets to be transmitted well after they are no longer relevant. This is called stale data. The effect is like having a clogged drain with the sink still running. If the sink canít drain as fast as the faucet is filling it, it will overflow and back up.
    How many universes of data are in your system?
    If you look at the stations section of the status page on the AP, do you have any stations that have a Tx/Rx rate where the second number is 6 or less?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have 13 universes but most of them arenít full. Thanks for the explanation. So since I am using multicast dropped packets shouldnít back up the network. But I could see some lights not flash quite properly if the packet that was dropped was a change to a single string of incands.

Iíll check that status page tonight.

Dave-1200Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that sACN is a streaming protocol. It's constantly streaming out the current values of all channels. It's not a transactional protocol where commands only go out when a change is needed. If your sequence timing is set to 50ms, that means that 20 packets will be sent every second for every universe. So even if it misses a few, it will catch up to where it needs to be when it successfully gets the next frame. For streaming lighting data, it's much more important for the lights to be at the right state at the right time than it is for them to hit every state change at the expense of being late. In other words, it's better to miss an update than to show it late. Each frame is valid for only 50 milliseconds. If you're beyond 50 milliseconds, the next frame is the one you want.

I asked about your universe count and Tx/Rx Rate because in multicast, the speed of the actual data transmission is set by the station with the slowest rate. The number of universes that can be sent every 50ms (or whatever your sequence timing is) is directly related to the multicast transmit rate. The number of universes you can pass is surprisingly low when your multcast rate is low. And it's not hard to have one station with poor reception dragging down the speed of the whole multicast network.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    If you look at the stations section of the status page on the AP, do you have any stations that have a Tx/Rx rate where the second number is 6 or less?
    So everything is 1 except for the RPi Zero that is running my tune to sign. It is bouncing around between 22 and 58

Dave-1200Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you're looking at the right column. 22 and 58 aren't valid rates. It's the Tx/Rx Mbps column. Should have numbers like 1/48 or 1/54. The part after the slash is what we're looking for. It should be 1, 6, 12, 24, 36, 48 or 56. If any of your stations have values that are at the low end, you should work on esp placement to improve reception.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Latency problems

Here is the screen I was getting those numbers from.

IPís 192.268.1.2 - 14 are ESPís for Renard controllers either WIFI SSRs or SS24 and TR24s. 192.168.1.20 -24 are ESPixel Pops. 192.168.1.100 is RPi 3B+ running lights and 192.168.1.200 is the RPi Zero running 2x1 P10 matrix double sided tune to sign. The only number that changes is the .200 when I refresh.

Dave-1200Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you've got reception issues. Here's a snip from mine.

Capture.PNG

Notice that compared to mine, your columns for Rx Signal DBm are all rather low. The latency column is very high. And the distance column shows high numbers.
    In your Tx/Rx Mbps column, you've got high values in the first column and low values in the second column. This suggests to me that you have active two way communications with all of these stations. What firmware is on the ESPs? Do you have browsers open to all of them? Are you doing some sort of monitoring that has them talking back to something?

WHat does your wireless config page look like? Here's mine
    Capture2.PNG

And lastly, the advanced page:
    Capture3.PNG

If we don't find any significant settings issues, we'll want to move on to reviewing the physical placement and layout. So go take some pics of your layout during the daytime so I can see how everything is laid out in your show.

Post Thanks / Like

I have calculate EIRP limit enabled on wireless page

On advanced: distance is 0.4 and Installer EIRP Control is unchecked.

Dave-1200Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

Try setting those to match mine. I don't think you can click the calc EIRP option until after you've enabled Installer EIRP Control. You may need to save and reboot between applying those two settings.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast