Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Latency problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Latency problems

With a yard of that size I would expect better reception, especially with clear weather. The Nanostation has a 90 degree horizontal coverage pattern. Some of those props are clearly outside of the directional pattern of the AP, but at close range that shouldn't that much of an issue. The stuff close to the house towards the sides would be what's out of the pattern. If it were me, I'd locate the AP on the corner of the house and aim it diagonally across the yard. Aim it so that it's 45 degrees from the house. This would include the whole yard in it's 90 degree pattern. The parked cars will likely always cause the props on the other side to have lower reception. But it should still work ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Latency problems

Just watched a couple songs and it is much better. Normally on only have two small cars parked in driveway. Van is in garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dave-1200Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

Would it be better to have a picostation than the Nanostation? Iíll wait until a slow time in cars and get a new shot of the station data.

Dave-1200Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

Generally the nanostation is still better performing.

You don't need to wait for a slow time to get a screencap from the AP. That shouldn't disrupt the show at all. In fact, it would be a good measurement with a live audience in place with maximum interference.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just afraid to cause a problem taking the screen capture. I have it just need to get it off computer and send it

Dave-1200Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a couple screen shots. I guess the changes we made earlier stopped the recording of IP addresses on most of the station listings.

AP Station Rate 120719 19.37.JPG

AP Station Rate 120719 21.14.JPG
    Dave-1200Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

when you made the changes on the AP, it would have flushed the IP addresses (ARP table) in the AP. It won't relearn the IP of each station until you actually have any communications that use the IP address of each station. when you're sending multicast, there's no traffic directly addressed to each client. So the AP doesn't yet need to map the mac address to an IP. Once you view the web interface of a particular ESP, it should show up on the list. Even pinging one would create an entry in the ARP table. So over time, as you connect to those ESPs for maintenance or whatever, it'll populate the IPs in the list again.

Those Rx rates look much better. I'd imagine that helped a lot with the delayed data. But the latency and distance columns still seem high.

Post Thanks / Like

Iíll try moving the AP to the corner of the house. The only concern I have with that is if Iíll be too far away from the porch controllers and the WiFi in that box between the two windows which all 3 of those are outside of the 90 degrees.

Dave-1200Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

The 90 degree pattern isn't a hard line. The signal is still present outside of that angle, just at a much lower strength. If you're fairly close to the AP, that shouldn't matter too much. I have props 20' directly above and about a foot behind my AP and they still work rather well.

I'm not saying it'll improve things for sure. Just something to try. You should be able to take a 25' or so cat5 cable and a coupler and just move it temporarily. It's an easy test to do. You could even zip tie it to that gutter for testing purposes.

Here's a wakthru video I did of my display a few years back. It's long, but you can scrub back and forth thru the video to get a feel for the layout. Near the end of the video I actually climb the tower with the camera to show shots from the position of the AP so you can see what's working for me. There's several ESPs that are "in the shadow" where the house itself is in the line of sight between the AP and the prop.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the corner of the house and the latency numbers went up to 350-500ms. Moved it back and it was single digits. Iíll keep an eye on it but it seems the Config changes did the trick.

Dave-1200Px-20KLts

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast