Thread: New setup lots of questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default New setup lots of questions

Hello all! I am very new to all this and am working on setting up my first display (piece by piece). I want to start small and simple so I am going to set up some small candy canes. My first question is all that I need this is the list I have so far and have ordered:
    1 F4V3 controller
    3 12v bullet leds
    3 boscoyo candy canes
    Xlights
    Computer

I know I need a power supply and that's something else I need help with (I know I need 12 volts but what wattage?) But is there anything else I need for this first set up?

Also as for cords I am not sure what to look for for the outputs on the controller board like what the name is for the port with 4 inputs so that I can make a pigtail adapter for the lights?

Any help is appreciated! Hopefully will have all the parts soon and can start a new addiction!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New setup lots of questions

Wattage of power supply would be directly related to wattage of your bullet lights. Each 12v 12mm bullet pixel consumes 0.3W . So just multiply number of pixel to 0.3 e.g. (50 x 0.3 = 15W) then add 20% . So single string of lights needs 18W (1.5A) power supply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EvoMoto View Post
    Wattage of power supply would be directly related to wattage of your bullet lights. Each 12v 12mm bullet pixel consumes 0.3W . So just multiply number of pixel to 0.3 e.g. (50 x 0.3 = 15W) then add 20% . So single string of lights needs 18W (1.5A) power supply.
    12V pixels are not all the same. If you have 12v pixels with built in regulators then they use (5v * 0.06a) = 0.3w * 1.2 = 0.36w (1.2 is the voltage regulator efficiency). If your 12v pixels do NOT have the built in regulators, then the correct wattage calculation is 12v * 0.06a = 0.72w / pixel
    Last edited by MartinMueller2003; 12-09-2019 at 05:29 PM.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tendau View Post
    Hello all! I am very new to all this and am working on setting up my first display (piece by piece). I want to start small and simple so I am going to set up some small candy canes. My first question is all that I need this is the list I have so far and have ordered:
    1 F4V3 controller
    3 12v bullet leds
    3 boscoyo candy canes
    Xlights
    Computer

I know I need a power supply and that's something else I need help with (I know I need 12 volts but what wattage?) But is there anything else I need for this first set up?

Also as for cords I am not sure what to look for for the outputs on the controller board like what the name is for the port with 4 inputs so that I can make a pigtail adapter for the lights?

Any help is appreciated! Hopefully will have all the parts soon and can start a new addiction!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Just order a 12V 350 watt PS. You'll be able to use the extra watts when you decided to grow your display.