Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Single cheap relay with Uno

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Single cheap relay with Uno

In Vixen controller setup, add a Generic Serial. Right click and configure:
    Capture.PNG
    There is a spot to set the header. Click the box and type in the header. The button to set com port and speed is right above on that screen as well. You will want to set that to the speed in the Arduino code.

The data packet for on will look like this (without the spaces and | ):
    | ! | " | # | x'FF'
    the data packet for off will look like this:
    | ! | " | # | x'0'
    the x'FF' is the hex representation of the full on byte. This byte comes from the "ON" or "OFF" setting you use in the sequencer. The Arduino code as currently set will interpret any value greater than decimal 48 as on and any value below 49 as off. So, say you put a really slow ramp on the relay circuit. Vixen will send
    !"#x'0' and your lights will be off because the value of the data byte is 0 - which is not greater than decimal 48.
    !"#x'1'
    !"#x'2'
    etc all the way to
    !"#x'FF'
    After 49 packets (0-48) are sent, the controller will receive from Vixen
    !"#x'31'
    x'31' is the UINT number 49 or the ascii character value 1. This will turn the lights on and they will stay on all the way until end of the slow ramp.
    Hex/Dec/Glyph are what the Wikipedia call them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII

You know what, with one channel you don't really care about syncing. So you could just rip out all the header code and just run in the loop...
    readSequenceData();
    outputToLights();
    If you decide to do this...do not add a header to the Vixen controller setup.

Post Thanks / Like

We cross posted but congratulations! You got the blinky to work!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    In Vixen controller setup, add a Generic Serial. Right click and configure:
    Capture.PNG
    There is a spot to set the header. Click the box and type in the header. The button to set com port and speed is right above on that screen as well. You will want to set that to the speed in the Arduino code.

The data packet for on will look like this (without the spaces and | ):
    | ! | " | # | x'FF'
    the data packet for off will look like this:
    | ! | " | # | x'0'
    the x'FF' is the hex representation of the full on byte. This byte comes from the "ON" or "OFF" setting you use in the sequencer. The Arduino code as currently set will interpret any value greater than decimal 48 as on and any value below 49 as off. So, say you put a really slow ramp on the relay circuit. Vixen will send
    !"#x'0' and your lights will be off because the value of the data byte is 0 - which is not greater than decimal 48.
    !"#x'1'
    !"#x'2'
    etc all the way to
    !"#x'FF'
    After 49 packets (0-48) are sent, the controller will receive from Vixen
    !"#x'31'
    x'31' is the UINT number 49 or the ascii character value 1. This will turn the lights on and they will stay on all the way until end of the slow ramp.
    Hex/Dec/Glyph are what the Wikipedia call them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII

You know what, with one channel you don't really care about syncing. So you could just rip out all the header code and just run in the loop...
    readSequenceData();
    outputToLights();
    If you decide to do this...do not add a header to the Vixen controller setup.
    Thanks Mike. I'll need to chew on this some to see if I can comprehend it fully. I do only have a single channel, but I intend to have many more in the future, so I would rather learn the nuts and bolts so I can reassemble the program myself if needed.
    I appreciate you taking the time to explain. My apologies for the extended response time. We moved that weekend, which, as it always is, was a complete fiasco.

Mac

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12