Thread: USB to RS485 adapter for FPP Renard Output

Post Thanks / Like

Default USB to RS485 adapter for FPP Renard Output

I use a combination of Renard controllers, DMX controllers, and E682 Pixel controllers all driven by FPP on a Raspberry Pi 3b. In past years I've had no trouble with USB to Serial adapter for the Renards connected to one of the USB ports on my Pi (with the exception that if a reboot, the output order sometimes changes). This year I wanted to split the outputs and connect a Ren32 directly to the Pi - it requires a RS485 input so I can't test with the serial adapter I have that I know works, so I grabbed this off of Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Unfortunately I'm not having any luck with this adapter - i notice it comes with some drivers, is that possibly the problem and is there a way to upload those drivers into the Pi/FPP? I can continue along with Daisy chain, but this is something that was bugging me so hoping to make some progress. If not, is there another USB to RS485 adapter that is recommended for use with the Pi/FPP?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: USB to RS485 adapter for FPP Renard Output

Does it not show up on the pi as /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyUSB1? The Pi's internal drivers are pretty robust and it ought to be one of those.

Then you need to set the Pi's Renard output settings to the proper device. It's not going to be listed as com1 or com2.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: USB to RS485 adapter for FPP Renard Output

Thanks for the feedback! I believe it shows up, there is an extra ttyUSB, just haven't had any luck getting it to work. If you're saying that if it's visible the drivers should be working, then maybe I'll keep tinkering - possibly something on the controller side I'm doing wrong (I've tried with jumper on J1 that didn't work, J2 didn't work either, but maybe I need to check connections closer). I use two other 'other' outputs on the Pi, one for the USB to Serial adapter (Renard), and one for a USB to DMX Enttec adapter, so I believe I'm assigning output correctly, no trouble with those.