Thread: My Stupidity on Display so Others Don't Repeat

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Stupidity on Display so Others Don't Repeat

I thought I'd put my latest stupid mistake out there in case it helps anyone else troubleshoot.

I had a controller that had 5V pixels for half of the controller and 12V pixels for the other half. I changed out the 5V lights for 12V lights, so I replaced the 5V 300W power supply with a 12V 360W power supply. So now I had two 12V power supplies in the enclosure.

While testing the converted outputs, I notice they aren't working. Hmm, did I damage my controller? Verified I didn't need to change any jumpers or configuration of the controller. Then I notice that the new power supply isn't working. Check of input 120VAC is at the terminals, no 12V output.

Finally I remember, did I slide the switch on the power supply from 220VAC to 120VAC. Nope, I slide the switch and everything works.

I had ordered another 12V power supply earlier since I like to have a spare and thought I'd need to wait for that to arrive, but all is good.

So many times it's the simple things.

I'm sure I could come up with other displays of stupidity, but this is my most recent one that consumed way more time than it should have.

Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My Stupidity on Display so Others Don't Repeat

So many variables in this hobby. Way too many to remember. And as we age, our sight lets some of the little things slip right by. I used a Falcon Player on a new Pi 4+ over Valentines Day. Right after, I decided to lay out all the Networks for 2020 Christmas in the Player. Make the first one, run a sequence and see it's blinking lights on a LOR controller I'm controlling in DMX mode over a E1.31 Bridge. Go back and create the other 4 controllers which are E681/2s, the last of which is controlling the Valentines Heart. Run the sequence for the Heart... nothing. Start at the beginning, check the sequence to make sure the Channels and networks I used are what I ended up with. Yes. Go back to the FPP, look at the networks to make sure I put the right IP, Universes, and... Oh yeah Unicast, not the default Multicast. Looking back, I even posted in the DMX forum because I didn't know for sure if I could use both in the same show. As I have an RPM 4 port E1.31 bridge that only runs in Multicast, and Sandevices controllers I run in Unicast. The first one I created was the Bridge, then I cloned the rest and missed that setting. It's very rare that I set out to accomplish something to prepare for a display, that I get it right in the first couple tries. And by the way, I did the exact same thing you did when I got my power supplies from China...

Jeff
    Please consider becoming a Supporting Member of DIYC. Show your thanks to those who make this place possible.

Post Thanks / Like

I've found that most issues are of the simplest kind, mostly user error or forgetting something. As we age it gets worse. Believe me, I know. I have numerous "duh" moments.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Mega tree cable #6 and #9 out of sync, after many hours checking controllers etc, I called nutsforlights (Louie) he struggled too. Finally after an hour or so he found the problem, I had cable #6 and #9 reversed. DUH
    Last edited by stallionent; 02-20-2020 at 08:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the club. Years back I did the same thing, and the wall suffered many blows while I tried to figure it out.
    A lesson that I will not forget.
    Live, Laugh, Love.