Thread: Current version of xlights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Current version of xlights

Downloaded 2019-67 xlights. Question is where to get specific information on how to create a chase on multiple RGB channels which are in one strand. One strand contains 50 nodes (RGB) and below that are the individual nodes.

How can I grab a group and make a chase, I was using HLS that would allow for grabbing a group of channelsl and just drag. Is there a similar way?

Most tutorials are from 2017 dates. Many more options on screen.

Completely new to xlights and trying to get started.

Is there a specific xlights thread?

Thanks,
    Al

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Current version of xlights

Not sure what you are asking on the chase. You can apply an effect to a group or an individual model.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there an explanation or example how do it?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Keith has lots of videos on effects. Look here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVO...kT0QndQ/videos

Post Thanks / Like

I think the single strand effect is what you're looking for

Post Thanks / Like

One of those videos has a specific example of how to do the chase effect super easy. If that youtube link doesn't have it, go to the xlights.org page and click on videos on the lower right section of the page. There's a TON of new videos.
    2012 - 12 Channels and an Arduino

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by intwoit View Post
    Downloaded 2019-67 xlights. Question is where to get specific information on how to create a chase on multiple RGB channels which are in one strand. One strand contains 50 nodes (RGB) and below that are the individual nodes.

How can I grab a group and make a chase, I was using HLS that would allow for grabbing a group of channelsl and just drag. Is there a similar way?

Most tutorials are from 2017 dates. Many more options on screen.

Completely new to xlights and trying to get started.

Is there a specific xlights thread?

Thanks,
    Al
    Ahh another Xlights convert......LOL
    I used HLS also for a few years before moving to Xlights.
    You will have to change your thinking a bit when dealing with Xlights as it is all model based when applying effects.
    Once you model all your props into xlights, then you can look at making groups (just plain old groups of models). From there, applying effects is super easy...
    Here is an example:
    I have models for mini trees, candy canes, stars, pixel poles. All these models are in the yard, so I created a group called "Yard stuff only". In xlights I create a view called "yard" and add the group "Yard stuff only" to the view. When I go to the sequence portion I can add timing marks and add effects that will propagate throughout the group as if it were a single model.
    With xlights you can have submodels of models etc...it really is endless what you can do.
    Do you remember the discussion way back when with Joe on creating a wholehouse model? The work that went into trying to create a single pixel plane with all elements? Oh man it was a lot of work! In xlights it is super easy. It was the main reason I switched. I was pretty comfortable with HLS, but the importing of effects with xlights/nutcracker was doubling the work and once Xlights 4 came out it was a no brainer....
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty easy to do. Select the line of pixels and then use the single strand effect and choose “chase” from the options associated with that effect. There are different chases available. If you want to break the single strand into 2 parts, draw a line of “x” number of pixels and the. create two or more submodels on that line. Then apply different effects to each submodel.