Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPixelStick Renard won't work

Post Thanks / Like

Default ESPixelStick Renard won't work

Hello all, I do a light show at my parent's house (My HOA rules don't allow lights where I live), and their neighbors said they would be interested in being part of the show, so I built another Renard SS24 and Connected it to an ESP running the ESP E1.31 to Renard Firmware from the Forum (pre-ESPixelStick but I cannot find the post again) I had it setup and working at home before I went to my parent's house for Thanksgiving. Once I got to their House and started setting everything up, The WiFi Renard no longer worked. It would connect to the WiFi Router (A dedicated Netgear just for the light show) and the Blue LED flashes rapidly indicating it is sending data over serial to the Renard, however Vixen doesn't seem to be able to control any of the channels, I have my 24 channels patched to the E1.31 device in Vixen 3 @ Universe 1 channel 1-24. I tried deleting and recreating the elements & the Controller from Vixen a few times. I then tried to flash the ESP with the ESPixelStick Serial Firmware so it would have a web ui for troubleshooting but have the same issue with that firmware. From my phone if I go into the "Testing" tab and set "static", the lights come on (however resetting to "Disabled" does not turn the lights back off) but If I set "View Stream" the page remains blank. I will note that I can ping the ESP from the Vixen machine, but attempting to open the web ui from the vixen computer returns the page with "Connection lost, Reload page" error over top. Reloading displays the same error, restarting windows and the ESP doesn't help. Any thoughts on what the issue might be? I have to go home tonight, but I might try again over a weekend later.
    Thanks
    -Brad

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ESPixelStick Renard won't work

In your controller configured as multicast or unicast in vixen? Does it match in the ESP web UI? Is the show PC connected wired or wireless to the AP? If multicast, are you sending the data out the correct network interface in vixen? If unicast, are vixen and the ESP in the same subnet?

Post Thanks / Like

WiFi Renard Controller is setup as a sACN device Unicast to 192.168.1.3 in Vixen, The ESP is set to DHCP but I have 192.168.1.3 reserved for it in the Router and ESP can be pinged & accessed from my phone on this IP. In Vixen the WiFi Renard Universe is set to 1, Start is set to 1, Size is set to 24. In the ESP, Universe is set to 1, start channel is set to 1, Channel count is set to 24, Enable Multicast is unchecked, Protocol is Renard, Baud is 57600. Show PC (192.168.1.6) is wired Ethernet to Router and communicates with 2 other ESPixelSticks without issue (these are actually running strings of pixels). Anther note, On the ESP, total packets is counting up about 20/second and if the page is refreshed Sequence errors counts up about 1 every 5 seconds.

Post Thanks / Like

Everything sounds right for the network configuration. Are you sure the serial settings match what your renard needs to see? If the test patterns are working, the renard serial config should be right.

Post Thanks / Like

So I have some down time due to the current global 'situation' so I thought I would revisit my ESPRenard project/issue. I have re-flashed the ESP with ESPixelStick v3.1 Renard firmware (I was using v2.1 before), I've configured the serial settings and I can successfully use the 'Effects' page to control my Renard. I now have no issue connecting to the ESP's config page from my laptop (this is a different computer and router as the actual show equipment is at my parent's house where the show is performed) and I have configured everything seemingly as I would expect it to need to be to work, but it still refuses to work. I'm fairly certain that this is a Vixen configuration issue, as the ESP acknowledges that it is receiving E1.31 data from the computer (on the 'Home' page), but the 'Diagnostics' page shows a blank black box (when using the 'Effects' there would be indicators that would flash with the lights connected to the Renard) I'm assuming someone has successfully used the 'ESPRenard' section of the firmware, What am I doing wrong?Patch.jpgConfig.PNGstatus.jpgDevice Setup.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

What ESP renard board are you using?

What renard firmware are you using on the PIC chip?
    RGB Mega Tree Plugin: www.varaderolights.com

Post Thanks / Like

It's a Hand built ESP Board, pretty much just the bare minimum for the ESP, voltage regulator the appropriate pull up/down resistors and GPIO2 connected to the TTL RX in on the Renard.

I originally based the board on the setup in this thread:
    http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...esp8266+renard

This worked great while testing but when I got to my parents house to setup the show, I could no longer get it to work. During troubleshooting, I stumbled across the fact that the ESPixelStick Firmware could also control a Renard, so I modified my board to connect GPIO2 to the Renard (non ESPixelStick above used the ESP's TX pin for Renard data) and I can control the Renard from the ESPixelStick's web UI, just not from Vixen.

My controller is a RenardSS24, I assume running the Renard SS Operational Firmware, The PIC's came pre-flashed from Wayne James.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Hey

I do use the renard option on many elements.

If the effect testing does work then there must be something between Vixen and the ESP.

Have you tried using other sequencer or FPP to test?

Maybe use the sACNview tool to see if you are able to send commands from the PC.

https://sacnview.org/

Emmanuel
    RGB Mega Tree Plugin: www.varaderolights.com

Post Thanks / Like

That sACNview is a very handy tool. Everything works as expected using sACNview 'transmission' feature, so I assume that confirms my suspicion of a Vixen configuration issue. What Vixen settings should I be using?

My current setup:
    +Controller
    -Streaming ACN (E1.31) Controller
    -24 Outputs
    -Start 1
    -On checked
    -Universe 1
    -Size 24
    -Destination Unicast 192.168.1.3 (IP of the ESPRenard)
    -Advanced Options left Default

Elements Setup
    +I've tried generic numbered group
    -24 items
    -'single color' set to white
    -patched to controller outputs 24->24
    +I then tried adding 24 'single item's
    -'single color' set to white
    -each item patched to a controller output

Then I tried turning items on from Vixen's Web UI, pressing the play button, it says 'item set to 100% intensity' but the lights do not respond.

I switched the Controller destination to MultiCast and used sACNview to monitor, and it shows Vixen 3 writing 0 to all 24 chanels regardless of the controls from the Web UI. What am I missing about the configuration/patching process?

Post Thanks / Like

I figured it out!, It was a Vixen configuration issue. So I found it when I realized that even the preview wasn't showing the items and after much playing around with the Display Setup I discovered an anomaly in the Vixen display setup procedure. When you add an item, it asks you how the items color should be configured in this dialog color config.PNG and since these are not multi-color pixels, the only reasonable option to select is "They are a single color, and do not change color at all. The color is:" and I was selecting that (I even tried a few different colors to no avail). After adding the items as 'single color' I had previously noticed that there was a color 'property' listed at the bottom of the window (and I did try deleting it but it didn't help), Then I noticed a radio button at the top of the window for a 'Graphical view' of the patching and selecting that showed that even though these items were added as 'single color' (and even if the color property was removed) there is a "Color Breakdown" Filter applied to every channel: Graphical Map.PNG When I deleted this 'Color Breakdown' Filter and patched the items directly to the controller channels, everything started working exactly as expected. Graphical Maping.PNG So it looks like you have to click 'Cancel' on the color configuration dialog when it pops up, instead of the more intuitive 'Single Color' option.
    Last edited by Shadow351; 04-09-2020 at 09:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast