Thread: Recover Sequence Overwritten by Auto-save

Post Thanks / Like

Default Recover Sequence Overwritten by Auto-save

Hello all, I've made a mistake. I'm working on my background sequence to play between shows. I've spent several hours creating it and I saved it, but then I wanted to create a short "Good night" sequence to play after the last show of the night, so I started with my background show, and deleted all but the first 17 seconds, I then did a "Save As" and saved it separately, but apparently Vixen 3 Auto saved it overwriting my full background sequence (Including the .tim_backup). Is there anyway to recover the original saved file or is it gone forever?

Thanks
    -Brad

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Recover Sequence Overwritten by Auto-save

There's no way as far as Vixen is concerned. But this isn't behavior that's unique to Vixen by any means. Many applications employ an autosave function. It's always best practice to immediately save-as if you're intending on using a file as a branching point to start something different.

There's a chance you can get back to a previous version from a backup, or from the previous versions feature of windows, if you have that enabled.

Post Thanks / Like

I make it a good practice to do a "save as". Then, when sequencing, I save every 15 minutes. I also create a backup every 2 hours. I keep 20 backup copies. When I save another, I delete the oldest backup.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, The sequence was created from scratch after my last backup, and then I started making changes right after I saved the first sequence. Oh, well, I guess I'll just recreate it. Now I just have to figure the scheduler/show setup out.

Post Thanks / Like

For the most part, I let the auto save do it's thing while I am sequencing. I might occasionally save if I make a significant change for good measure. For me the stability of the application has been very good so I don't worry about it crashing in the middle of stuff. I archive the profile to a zip from time to time. I keep significant milestones of those on a file share that has redundancy and backups.

Everyone should get in some form of backup routine that makes them feel comfortable. That is not just a Vixen thing. It should apply to anything that is important to you.