Thread: Water in my SS24

Post Thanks / Like

Default Water in my SS24

Hey all been a long time since I posted, actually been several years since I did a show. I finally got all my stuff up and ready everything was going great. WAS. I started my testing last night with all my channels (80ish) and everything went well. Problem is my first SS24 in my chain I accidently left the top open on it laying on the ground (kids and family where ready to eat and I was in a hurry). While out to eat it rained for the 2 hours we were gone and when I got home the box the renard was in was full of water and all my lights where off. I unplugged everthing and got it inside for the night and dryed it out as best as I could and left it open up until about and hour ago. I hooked it all back up as it was before and now almost all the channels stay on or flash no matter what I do on Vixen. Is the box toast or is there a way to salvage it? Im not a very tech savy guy I bought all these already put together. Any help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Water in my SS24

I do not know for sure and I would get a couple second opinions before proceeding but ...

Water by itself may not have damaged the board at all.
    The idea is to absorb or evaporate any remaining water.
    Disconnect from power.
    Fill the the box with instant rice (like Minute Rice). The rice will help absorb water.
    Put the whole thing in a VERY LOW HEAT oven ~100f degrees and leave it for a couple hours. The heat will speed evaporation. 100f degrees should not damage the board.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you take out the IC's before adding power? It's possible if you left the chips in they got messed up. You may have to re-flash them or get new ones. Take the chips out and use some contact cleaner to clean the pins and the sockets. Use flux cleaner to clean the bottom of the circuit board. Use compressed air all over and especially in the chip sockets.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pmiller; 11-30-2019 at 08:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller View Post
    Did you take out the IC's before adding power? It's possible if you left the chips in they got messed up. You may have to re-flash them or get new ones. Take the chips out and use some contact cleaner to clean the pins and the sockets. Use flux cleaner to clean the bottom of the circuit board. Use compressed air all over and especially in the chip sockets.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    Possible flashing the PICs could fix it, but for sure make sure it is dry before applying power. Hair dryer will work perfect and the board components can take the heat if you keep it under 100* F or so. Compressed air is a good idea too. I did this to a SS16 and flashing it fixed it after drying.
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Since you mentioned this is your first board, you could switch the last board in its place and see if things work then. Sounds like you have 3-4 of these.
    http://www.vixenlights.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Vixen3-Logo-435x165White-300x107.png

Post Thanks / Like

For what itís worth I had a ss24 waterlogged last year. I ended up drying it out with a blow dryer - first time or two I applied power all channels came on (or most I canít remember exactly). I ended up waiting a day then blow drying some more, and all was good. So, maybe give it some time and make sure to get it completely dry. I may have gotten lucky but there is hope

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I did switch my last controller in line with the one that was water logged and it worked as it should, Iím letting it sit untill tomorrow when I can get home and try it again, fingers crossed and thanks for the input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like crisis has been averted. Dried it out with the ole ladyís hair dryer and everything is back to normal. Hope it stays on the up and up now. Thanks for the help, if Iím smart enough Iíll try to get a video of my show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

that's good news! Another great story for the amazingly robust SS24.

Post Thanks / Like

Great news!
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas