Thread: Sequencing setup

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sequencing setup

I have ran all my lights and have everything hooked up to my Pi3b+ and a Falcon Picap. I have 1 channel with 317 and the other channel with 319. This is just a roof and window layout for this year (first year). My question is when I am in XLights I have my layout complete but I can't figure out my setup. The part I'm having trouble with is the starting universe # and the # of universes. I've researched and watched videos but all of them are for setting up much bigger controllers with multiple channels and it just confuses me for my simple layout.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sequencing setup

Can you post a screen shot of your xlights setup page?

Post Thanks / Like

IMG-3121.jpg

I did 5 universes because I thought it said 170 pixels per universe.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a personal preference, but I like to put each universe on a separate line rather than group all of then together. I believe you should also be using 510 channels/universe.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you put them on separate line?

Post Thanks / Like

I like them on separate lines also. I use 512 for all of mine but I do know some controllers do not allow that like SanDevices with the older firmware.

Uncheck the "One Output" box when creating them
    Last edited by K-State Fan; 12-01-2019 at 06:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

And to show you that each is to their own, I went from each on a single line to grouping them. One line per controller. Much easier to keep track, IMO.

BTW - 512 works just fine. Using 510 for 3 channel pixels (RGB) is good since you only have 170 pixels that can fit within one DMX Universe with 2 channels left over/discarded. (510 channels used per universe.)
    This all changes when we start using multiple channel pixels, with say RGBA (Red, Green, Blue, Amber) or RGBV (..., violet). These each take 4 channels per pixel, or 128 per DMX Universe, meaning they will use the whole 512.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

They are not left over or discarded. They are used on the next pixel. My pixel tree has 1200 pixels and starts on Universe 201 Channel 1 and ends on Universe 207 Channel 16.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI - For those that use the 510 count per universe, channels 511 and 512 are ignored.

I use a count of 512 with my Falcon Controllers (F16s, F4s, F48), so on those channels 511 and 512 for the universe are used on the next pixel. But my San Devices E682s are set to 510. (Reasons for using either are varied and personal preference.)

Easiest way to verify what I am saying is to set the controller to 510, then send a change to 511 or 512. Nothing will happen. Set it to 512 and the next pixel will react. As they say, don't just take my word for it, this is DIY after all!
    Live, Laugh, Love.