Thread: 2 computers 1 profile

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 computers 1 profile

I have a spare laptop to run vixen controlling my lights. It is in basement and I work off a better faster laptop upstairs. What I need to do is have the same profile on both computers(easy as I can just set it up identical I guess) now as far as .tim files holding my songs/effects/show, how do I transfer those files from one computer to another using flash drives? I tried but said I had errors and no effects showed up

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2 computers 1 profile

You need to take the entire profile folder and copy it back and forth. Vixen needs to be closed on both computers when you're copying it. If you're using the default profile location. The profile is in the documents folder. It's the entire vixen folder there.

You only need to move the whole profile when anything changes with your display setup or preview. If you're just doing sequencing and the setup stays the same, you only need to move the sequence files.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    You need to take the entire profile folder and copy it back and forth. Vixen needs to be closed on both computers when you're copying it. If you're using the default profile location. The profile is in the documents folder. It's the entire vixen folder there.

You only need to move the whole profile when anything changes with your display setup or preview. If you're just doing sequencing and the setup stays the same, you only need to move the sequence files.
    So the .tim file is the only one that needs moved? Does the profile if set up identical need to be same name and both from default? Maybe that is my error

Post Thanks / Like

yes. the tim, and of course the audio and any other media used in the sequence.

You can't simply recreate the profile on the 2nd computer. You need to copy the profile files from the original machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh ok I get it I will do that then copy whole file I just built the setup on both computers the exact same

Post Thanks / Like

Kept saying profile was locked so ended up deleting all profiles and then I was able to load profile to controller laptop from main laptop

Post Thanks / Like

The key thing to making this happen is to identify the profile folder on the primary computer. If you are not using multiple profiles, it will be the Vixen 3 folder in your My Documents folder. If you are using multiple profiles, there there would be multiple folders under the My Documents folder each one corresponding to a profile. The surest way is to shutdown Vixen on the source and target computer. Zip up that entire profile folder and copy it to the exact same place in the target computer. That establishes a baseline between the two. There are many effects that have other media associated with them, that just copying tim files will not maintain everything, so I recommend always syncing the entire profile between the two computers to be absolutely sure you are in sync.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    The key thing to making this happen is to identify the profile folder on the primary computer. If you are not using multiple profiles, it will be the Vixen 3 folder in your My Documents folder. If you are using multiple profiles, there there would be multiple folders under the My Documents folder each one corresponding to a profile. The surest way is to shutdown Vixen on the source and target computer. Zip up that entire profile folder and copy it to the exact same place in the target computer. That establishes a baseline between the two. There are many effects that have other media associated with them, that just copying tim files will not maintain everything, so I recommend always syncing the entire profile between the two computers to be absolutely sure you are in sync.
    Thank you very much for your help