Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting my own display

Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting my own display

Hello first post!

I have been doing some research, and have already started investing in this. I bought an audrino uno r3, and plan on buying a sain smart 16 channel relay board unless I can connect more than one in which I'd probably buy a few more. I don't really know much but I'd like some guidance. I literally am getting the Audrino tomorrow, but I do know about programming so that isn't much of my concern. I plan on using Leviton M24-05320-WMP for power to lights and do not plan on running any LEDs with individual control, just plugged into a plug. I am going to be running a cable around 150ft just for plugs so I am probably going to need some guidance on how to extend that far as we have a pretty long driveway and want it to be a display out on the road.

Thank you very much, and feel free to ask me any questions, I know very little about what I'm getting myself into. My focus is not yet on the radio stuff, as I just want to get some Christmas lights a'flashin!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Starting my own display

Well, if you want to use Arduino for more than 16 channels, I would suggest using a MEGA. A MEGA can support at least 32 channels of Sainsmart SSR type relays. Do not use mechanical relays if you can help it.
    Use Victor_PV sketch for no dimming applications, or use ZParticle sketch for dimming applications.
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

I can do dimming with regular Christmas lights?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sloss2003 View Post
    I can do dimming with regular Christmas lights?
    Yes, you can dim regular Christmas lights if you use the correct electronic controller boards that include a Zero Cross Detector circuit.
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, would it be better to go the LED route, or just go starting with Christmas lights? I want to be able to provide an interesting show at a good price. I'm 15 so I don't make much, but I am investing in this one from my other programming jobs. My first disaplay will hopefully be next year.

Post Thanks / Like

If by 'the LED route' you mean addressable pixels, you may end up there anyway. But a lot of people start with just the string lights that they have on hand. If you want to get started for the least amount you might be wise to use your existing string lights (incandescent or LED string lights). I run incandescent and LED string lights along with a few hundred pixels. I use Arduino MEGAs to control the string lights.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, my investment in an uno was probably a bad idea. I am thinking I want to run 16 or 32 channels. I'd like to be able to create a lot of effects on our property saying we have a ton of land. I'm still unsure of a lot of things, I don't even know anything about the electrical side of this: powering the lights. etc, fading using sainsmart relays. Would anyone be able to guide me in the right direction of the bare minimum I'm going to need in order to create this show? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of us are willing to "guide" and to help. There are many threads that describe how to set up different hardware and how to use different software. You have to decide where you are going to start first. Then you have to decide o a budget which will likely dictate your initial hardware choice. Nothing wrong with using arduinos. Or Renard boards are very popular.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin hit the nail on the head. DIY puts YOU in the driver's seat. Don't wait for everyone else to lead you. They're extremely busy and pressed for time finishing their own setups and final tweaks for this year's show without having to teach you what you need to learn on your own. Do the research. Yes, it takes some time and you're probably anxious because time is very short. But you should have started your project 3 or 4 months ago.

Nonetheless, good luck. May the Schwartz be with you.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

My goal is not to do it this year, there simply isn't enough time. I'm just trying to find out enough to start making decisions where I can start building on my own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast