Thread: FPP has faild me, how to use Vixen3 to run show?

Post Thanks / Like

Default FPP has faild me, how to use Vixen3 to run show?

I've been using Vixen 3 to do my sequencing for the past few years, then exporting them as fseq files & uploading to a Pi with FPP. Its all worked fine until last night when I uploaded the last batch (not Vixen's fault in any way). Something has went wrong with FPP (or maybe the Pi itself) no matter what I do I can't get it to work now, so I've basically given up on the thing.

So I'm wondering if for now if there's a way to use Vixen on a computer as the show player.
    Currently my setup is:
    Pi/FPP (master) with a USB-RS485 dongle going to a Renard 32
    Pi/FPP (remote) with a FPD going to 2 Lynx Express 16's

That 2nd one I know is basically a lost cause, but is there some way of running the Renard's off using Vixen as a 'player'? Just what do I have to do (in Vixen) to setup/make it work

----
    The lights come on tonight even if it means I go up on the roof (that's still got probably close to a foot of snow) and swap out things to use my really old controllers that run off a Win 3.1 PC
    24 Ch/486dx 33mhz PC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FPP has faild me, how to use Vixen3 to run show?

TO directly answer the question. You need to plug in that USB dongle to the PC. And then Configure the renard output to use that dongle. Once you know it's properly driving the lights. Then you can focus on setting up the scheduler.

To use the scheduler, you'll need to set up a show. This is your playlist. Then you set up a schedule which is which is when the playlist will play.

But I would think it would take about the same amount of time to just start over with FPP. Reimage your SD card, get the pi up and running and then configure it. You should be able to do a complete FPP setup process in under an hour.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: FPP has faild me, how to use Vixen3 to run show?

@jchuchla:
    Thanks for the info.

I had an 'extra' Pi sitting around (basically my spare & the one I'd take if I wanted to do something away from home), so I just imaged a SD for that. As always, a bit tricky getting FPP to properly work with the dongle...but I got it going & have lights now
    I'll worry about fixing or re-imaging the original later when I have more time.
    24 Ch/486dx 33mhz PC