Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Mother Nature Wins

Post Thanks / Like

Default When Mother Nature Wins

I have set up this rig on my roof for many years. Today I came home to find this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    lights, blow molds, and cut outs; no blinky-flashy yet

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: When Mother Nature Wins

Quote Originally Posted by wood_guy View Post
    I have set up this rig on my roof for many years. Today I came home to find this.
    Did you get into the eggnog before you set it up this year ?

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, those of us in the Midwest are getting our displays tested really good today. I had to beef up the anchoring on my big tree earlier today.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain - 55mph gusts are currently hitting my display. I'll be rushing home tomorrow after turkey day lunch to take care of repairs.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing the wind gusted hard in just the right direction. My house faces north and the wind usually comes out of the west. However, I think it was coming out of the south yesterday. I ended up bringing more props as the wind kept knocking stuff over. After a long day today, everything is up, except for poor Santa and Rudolph.
    lights, blow molds, and cut outs; no blinky-flashy yet

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch! We temporarily lost our megatree here at the house (anchors pulled from the ground, pipe bent in the most beautiful arch I've seen - without using a pipe bender.) Didn't lose anything in the park, but several things were "shaken and stirred".
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Ouch! We temporarily lost our megatree here at the house (anchors pulled from the ground, pipe bent in the most beautiful arch I've seen - without using a pipe bender.) Didn't lose anything in the park, but several things were "shaken and stirred".
    You might want to save that pipe. Never know when you'll need a perfect arch. Don't look at it as a disaster, think of it as an opportunity.

Post Thanks / Like

It went to my pipe rack, and not to recycle. Of course the question was asked, "what are you saving that for?"
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I’m sorry to see and old prop get damaged. But as you stated “for many years”, so at best mother nature has a knock down in one round. Is it fixed and back up yet?

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same santa and reindeer blow molds on my roof. Mine is actually 9 reindeer with Rudolph on the front. I made a frame for the reindeer out of 3/4 pvc pipe. The santa and sled are attached to 1/2 piece of plywood. What i did to hold mine down is sandbags. I put about 50 pounds on the reindeer frame and 50 pounds under the sled to hold it down. Ive had 65 mph winds and so far none have come down. The sandbags are made from ziplock bags filled with tube sand. When full they weigh about 7-10 pounds each. Use the bags with zippers, not press and seal ones. That patio block you used is only about 10 pounds. Not heavy enough to hold them down. Also my roof is not very steep and you can't see the sandbags at night. Hope this helps.
    Adam

I took another look at the pictures. It looks like the blow molds are repairable. If theres any cracks in the plastic use gorilla glue or exterior grade epoxy.
    Last edited by Leglamp; 11-30-2019 at 01:16 AM.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNv4__V1LA8

or type Christmas lights in st charles in the youtube search bar.
    Leglamp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast