Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Sad Trombone heard when lighting up this megatree

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sad Trombone heard when lighting up this megatree

Quote Originally Posted by ezellner View Post
    Do you have a common V- connection between the power supply providing injection and the controller? To melt a connector there had to be a short. It could be that one or more of the connectors are wired backwards.

Do you mean is there a direct wire connection between the v- on the controller and injection power supply, not a standalone one, but yes. The v+ is cut at the bottom of the first string, but the v- and data continue from from the controller all the way through. So the v- injection wire connects to the common v- that connects back to the controller and it's PSU

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrNeutron View Post
    When you are power injecting, you are running +'ive and -'ive not just a positive wire....from your post it looks like you just injected +'ive.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Yes, absolutely, every single injection point is a paired v- and v+, no standalone wires

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, sorry to be blunt this but this is getting to be a very long unresolved thread (not that that is a problem but it’s not helping you).
    I would strongly suggest that as the first 50 pixels of the first string/output are working ok you focus on fault finding this one first.
    As I understand from your posts these where supplied to you in 50 pixel sets with connectors on each end which you have connected four sets to make strings of 200.
    1. Disconnect and separate the four sets of 50 pixels numbering them one, two three and four in the direction of the data.
    2. Confirm that each on its own works when POWER AND RECIVING DATA directly from the controller and then add another set to make a string of 100 pixels noting the results.
    3. Set one connected to the controller – then power off and connect set two.
    4. Set two connected to the controller – then power off and connect set three.
    5. Set three connected two the controller – then power off and connect set four.
    6. Set four connected to the controller – then power off and connect set one.
    This should give some additional information to get you up and running – as of posting this I’m UK and it’s bed time so if anyone can follow up untill the morning this side feel free.
    Last edited by Barnabybear; 12-03-2019 at 08:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Soooo, my problems aren't all magically solved, but I did figure where the issue was with the melted connector. So it turns out that a section of wire I picked up had a print flaw on the jacket....It had BOTH sides with white lines printed on it, which I was using as a reference to keep the v+ and v- consistent . So there you have it, the injection point next to the jst did have reversal, so I can cross that mystery off. Now to see where everything else stands as I'm just getting home from work

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for Barnabybear, troubleshooting has to be methodical. Test each possibility, eliminate it, move on to the next, strings should be step 1. About 8 pages ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Soooo, my problems aren't all magically solved, but I did figure where the issue was with the melted connector. So it turns out that a section of wire I picked up had a print flaw on the jacket....It had BOTH sides with white lines printed on it, which I was using as a reference to keep the v+ and v- consistent . So there you have it, the injection point next to the jst did have reversal, so I can cross that mystery off. Now to see where everything else stands as I'm just getting home from work
    Remember what I said about using color as your guide. Measure each junction. Also, most SPT wire has a molded key that you can feel. That key seems to be pretty consistent.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Remember what I said about using color as your guide. Measure each junction. Also, most SPT wire has a molded key that you can feel. That key seems to be pretty consistent.
    Good thing I don't use color as a guide lol. I was using the exact same wire for everything, and quite simply, one side is supposed to be bare, and the other side has a white strip on it. Keep in mind, this is unconnected, bulk wire at this point, so I'm not trusting that someone else's color coding was correct. The stripe on the one wire is used to tell the sides apart just like the molded key on the spt. But yes, I somehow got a section that had accidentally had both sides with the white strip painted on, so when I was wiring, I'm looking for that "key" and voila, reversal. I knew just like you guys that the symptoms indicated reversal, glad 1+1 still equals 2 and the world of wiring is still correct lol

Post Thanks / Like

Let us know if that corrects all your issues.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910